Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point in the history of Colt or even S & W for that matter start using hang tags? Or including them with a firearm? I had always been under the impression that they were supplied by the seller, not the manufacturer.

I saw a 39 Colt revolver last night that had the "hang tag" along with papers & box, struck me as a red flag.

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
The Colt factory used hang tags of various sorts from before WWII to very recent times. John Ogle has an entire chapter on them in his new book: "The Book of Colt Paper 1834-2011" (Blue Book Publications, 2011). Chapter 20 shows hang tags for the Colt hammerless double barrel shotgun in 1891, various tags for .22, .32, .38 and .45 caliber pistols, AR-15 rifles and even the Colteer .22 rifles and Colt bows. Hang tags are usually the first piece of paper to go missing from a boxed gun and consequently are quite difficult to find.
Of course, gun sellers did often add their own tags, usually price tags.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
At what point in the history of Colt or even S & W for that matter start using hang tags? Or including them with a firearm? I had always been under the impression that they were supplied by the seller, not the manufacturer.

I saw a 39 Colt revolver last night that had the "hang tag" along with papers & box, struck me as a red flag.
Welcome to the forum. Each manufacture is different , but Colt hangtags have been around since before 1939 for sure.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts