Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this .45 SAA long enough to go out to the low desert and ascertain that it is a well-maintained, excellent shooter. Serial number puts it in 1883. All brown with one-piece wood grips. Mechanically excellent. Everything thing as it should be except the hammer was replaced with what I take to be a third type, with the curved border.

The left grip panel has "HANK WYATT" scratched on it. I figured some kid. Well maybe.

I searched the name in the Library of Congress newspaper database. Came up with one hit from 1777 to 1963. Hank Wyatt was a "farmer" in Hugo, Oklahoma. He was called out in the Washington, D.C. Evening Star, May 30, 1956. One of a group of OK farmers travelling around the USSR looking at agricultural practices. Quoted as being impressed with the school system.

Found his obit from Corley's Funeral Home in Corsicana, TX, 2008. Born 1914. Listed as a rancher in the Grant, OK area in his early days. Officer in WW2. Well-respected banker afterward.

Not conclusive evidence of anything, but closer than I usually get searching the history of old guns in my collection. Not a lot of people scratch a full name.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I believe "Hank" is a nickname for "Henry." I know that actor Henry Fonda was often called "Hank" by his family and friends. By chance, did you search for someone named "Henry Wyatt"? I Googled this name and found a man by this name who was born in Iowa in 1866, and was a young man during the 1880s when your Colt SAA was made. This may not be the owner of your gun, but I think he is a better bet than the Oklahoma farmer you located who died in 2008.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Rusty. My first thought when I saw the inscription on the left grip was that someone was playing around. Hence my idea it was a kid. It made me think of My Darling Clementine with "Hank" Fonda as Wyatt Earp.

I thought of searching on Henry Wyatt but then decided to not get any more creative so just played it straight with Hank Wyatt.

Thanks for your contribution. Probably never really know.

Arthur Tobias

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
I've had this .45 SAA long enough to go out to the low desert and ascertain that it is a well-maintained, excellent shooter. Serial number puts it in 1883. All brown with one-piece wood grips. Mechanically excellent. Everything thing as it should be except the hammer was replaced with what I take to be a third type, with the curved border.

The left grip panel has "HANK WYATT" scratched on it. I figured some kid. Well maybe.

I searched the name in the Library of Congress newspaper database. Came up with one hit from 1777 to 1963. Hank Wyatt was a "farmer" in Hugo, Oklahoma. He was called out in the Washington, D.C. Evening Star, May 30, 1956. One of a group of OK farmers travelling around the USSR looking at agricultural practices. Quoted as being impressed with the school system.

Found his obit from Corley's Funeral Home in Corsicana, TX, 2008. Born 1914. Listed as a rancher in the Grant, OK area in his early days. Officer in WW2. Well-respected banker afterward.

Not conclusive evidence of anything, but closer than I usually get searching the history of old guns in my collection. Not a lot of people scratch a full name. View attachment 750946
View attachment 750947
Whatever the case, that is a great-looking long barrel black powder SAA!

·
Registered
Have always had an affinity for antique Colt Single Actions!
489 Posts
By all means a very nice Blackpowder Colt and looks all there! Great one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts