Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I was very happy to read about, "Scamper's," success with his D.S. and JCM298A's Magnum Carry, and especially Ohio Buckeye's Trooper. I guess I'll be finding out first hand about Colt repairs, too, due to some, "poop happening," Saturday. First, dfariswheel, my esteemed sort-of-pen-pal, I think I heard the other side of what you were defending regarding Remington shotguns ... my son, the cop, told me several of theirs, Newton, Ks. P.D., BROKE. I don't know their armorer nor Chief but I know my son was anxious to tell me because I'm the guy that when the young man that I helped to teach to walk and talk asked me what kind of shotgun to buy, I told him the Remington 870 Wingmaster pump! I'm relieved he didn't NEED it. They only get fired for qualification - and then not very much. He made it clear MORE than one had, "seriously malfunctioned," shall we say. The best description I can come up with is that the frames cracked and the gun just fell apart. I guess this must've happened elsewhere as well, if it's come up before. My second verse of my song of sorrow is Saturday afternoon in Coldwater, Kansas ... great bird hunting ... sonny boy and his old man - me, go pistol shooting. Sons got two Glocks and my dad's Official Police, which I gave him. I've got my pre-Python .357. Remember? The one that jams when you elevate it from horizontal? Yeah, that's the one ... this condition has gotten better but it made its presence known Saturday. Then, it started, "not shooting." Out of about 150 rounds, .38 and .357, there were about 6 or 7 missfires. All went off on a second touch. (As many .38's as .357's, too.) Cheap, factory ammo ... but no handloads. (Remington UMC .38 special 130 grain and Winchester 125 grain semi-jacket soft points.) BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE ... Then, I ask sonny boy to shoot, "Pop's old Colt." He produces it from his bag and starts apologizing for it. It seems, some time after I gave it too him, the firing pin broke off. He took it to a gunshop in Hutchinson, Ks. - Harry's Gun Shop and Repair, suposedly an authorized Colt repair station. About six months and several visits later, son goes to the shop and gets the gun back. It's got a new firing pin, but now, there's a disc, about 5/16ths", where the tip of the firing pin protrudes, that just falls out, into the cylinder when you dry fire the gun. You can shoot bullets in it - just watch out dry or you'll loose the damn little disc. OK. So, should daddykins send in both guns to, "Uncle Sam," and live happily every after. Or, 2. hang the .38 on the wall as a trophy - I think if my dad, in Pennsylvania finds out he'll throw it in the Lehigh river! - and keep the .357 to shoot once in while, when it feels like it! Or, 3. make the .38 a trophy and trade the .357, along with it's metal slivers and weak spring for a proper Smith & Wesson!

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Or, 3. make the .38 a trophy and trade the .357, along with it's metal slivers and weak spring for a proper Smith & Wesson!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's quite a rant and no mistake but as for the question above, NOOOOOO!!!

Now, you know that OP shouldn't work that way regardless of the trip to a 'smith. In fact it should never have left the shop in that state if your son had to pay for anything. I looked on the Colt website and ol' Harry's shop isn't listed as a dealer. You'd think if they're a Coltsmith they'd be a dealer too. The site doesn't say anything about any authorized service shops other than Colt. What I'm getting at is that who knows when that shop got it's "certification" and whether the people who had the knowledge of Colt revolvers are still there or not?

The .357 is over 40 years old and who knows how many rounds have been down that tube before you got it. I personally would expect such a gun to have some problems, but then I own 1911's

I can see that it would be frustrating to have two guns down at the same time but IMO it's a little early to throw in the towel. Unfortunately getting an older Colt action revolver serviced is problematical. I've heard that Colt will work on them but YOU must supply them the parts.

But we're not interested in Colt revolvers because it's easy, are we?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parker Dean, I thank you for your soothing salve. But, YES! I did get into Colt revolvers because I thought they'd be easier! Easier to shoot better with. Sadly, in my thirty some years shooting, I guess I've owned seven Colts and three S&W's and ALWAYS had more trouble with the Colts. (Except the two 1911's! H-m-m-m?) Now that you prompt me to think about it seriously, I think both the S&W's I bought new, too. The Colts were mostly used - so, how can I gripe? The trouble with this deal is this .357 wasn't, "used." That's why I bought it! I had the price - and even permission from my better half - to buy a new Python! I thought this was more interesting and a bargain. Obviously, I need my mother to go along gun shopping with me! In this neck of the woods, anyway, we don't see many Colt anythings on the shelves - ever. Want a Colt? Ya' gotta' buy used. If I would've ordered a new Python, that would've had to have been sight-unseen, too. There's gotta' be a better way. But thanks, again, for the help, Pal! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Parker Dean:
Well, that's quite a rant and no mistake but as for the question above, NOOOOOO!!!

Now, you know that OP shouldn't work that way regardless of the trip to a 'smith. In fact it should never have left the shop in that state if your son had to pay for anything. I looked on the Colt website and ol' Harry's shop isn't listed as a dealer. You'd think if they're a Coltsmith they'd be a dealer too. The site doesn't say anything about any authorized service shops other than Colt. What I'm getting at is that who knows when that shop got it's "certification" and whether the people who had the knowledge of Colt revolvers are still there or not?

The .357 is over 40 years old and who knows how many rounds have been down that tube before you got it. I personally would expect such a gun to have some problems, but then I own 1911's

I can see that it would be frustrating to have two guns down at the same time but IMO it's a little early to throw in the towel. Unfortunately getting an older Colt action revolver serviced is problematical. I've heard that Colt will work on them but YOU must supply them the parts.

But we're not interested in Colt revolvers because it's easy, are we?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts