Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This morning I was thinking about my little diamondback and I went and checked my records. Yep, today is the 25th aniversary of when I bought it. Interesting how things have changed. I was a geeky kid of 16 then who bought it used because I was not old enough to buy one new (had to be 18 at the time). I remember the day. Sunny and clear, and I rode my little Honda 125 over to buy it just after lunch. The guy I bought it from had never shot it and was laid off from MotorWheel and needed the money. I bought it for $250 with 4 boxes of ammo and the original box and paperwork. I then had to have it safety inspected and get my license. I next went to a hole in the wall gun shop to buy a lee loader kit, some powder, primers, bullets and some more factory reloads. I started with Unique and 231 along with 158 grn lead cast bullets. I remember the dealer was upset that I bought the gun from an induvidual not from him. I think he would have sold me something even though I was less then 18 at the time.

I do remember shooting it well the first time. Yikes the recoil surprised me. I had no idea a 38 special would kick so hard. I had never fired a handgun before so it was a wild experience. I remember I hit the paper and I was quite pleased about that.

Now fast forward to today. The gun has been fired over 47,000 times since then, it still is a stellar performer. Yes it has been back to Colt now 3 times over the years for repairs but you know it is really a great gun and I could never part with it. I keep thinking that I should buy another one and retire this little guy, but after that many years, I just can't stop occasionally shooting it.

Oh yeah, I no longer think of the 38 special as a hard kicker...

I guess what is most interesting to me is that at age 16, I had no idea where my life would take me. Back then my goals was an assembly line job at Oldsmobile. I could never have predicted that 25 years later I would be a proud parent, a leader in my industry and riding a ship in the North Atlantic overseeing a multi-million dollar project.

So here is to my little diamondback. 25 years, it just slipped by in a blink of an eye. Wow, I wish I was home so I could take it out shooting.

Thanks Colt for making such a great little handgun. I never thought I would still have it. Now I can never even think of selling it.

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Okay, a bit old fashioned and sentimental but here it goes:

Happy Birthday to you (2x)
Happy Birthday dear DB
Happy Birthday to you.

Congrats.

Keep the birthdaygirl smoking.

Gunsmoke

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
And they (the naysayers) say the DB is fragile. Hah!
Put 47,000 more through her.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
991 Posts
A very happy birthday indeed!

Although it makes me sad to think of the pistols I purchased at age eighteen and was foolish enough to sell. I really wish I had them now (age 45); especially the High Standard.

On a brighter note, I did not have any Colts back then and now I have eight DA's! I will pay much more attention to celebrating their birthdays!

btw... You are to be congratulated on keeping this beauty in excellent shape regarding both mechanics and appearance. I've always said you can shoot as much as you want, and if properly taken care of, most revolvers will look as good as new except for the cylinder turn.

How many times can a Colt be returned and refurbished at the factory before it must finally be sent to handgun heaven? No one really knows...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I never really thought about the finish that much. It is the original nickle. Colt replaced the bolt spring, retimed it twice and replaced the bolt screw. I have been very pleased with the little guy over the years.

I know it is heresy to say, but I actually cleaned it for years with rubbing alcohol because that is all I could afford. I used the lee handloader over 15 years until I could afford a press and real dies. I foolishly did not like the original factory checkered grips so I took a rasp (when I was 18 I think) and rasped the checkering off. I have since bought another set of grips to make up for my stupidity.

For years my standard load was a 158 grn lead swc with 5.0 grns of Unique. Now that would be a plus P load but back then it was an acceptable load for a 38 special. I used to shoot (well I still do) the brass till it would split and then I would toss it.

I still have the original leather case I bought to store it. I still have the boxes of "Lawman" ammo I bought that day. I use them for reloading still.

It is interesting how time flies and the gun still gets shot. I am kind of looking forward to 50K here in a few years.

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts