Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
It is an EMF marketed copy of the Colt SAA. This one was made by in italy by Armi Sam Marco. Don't know anything about the quality.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Look at the BM stamped next to the patent dates and the proof stamps on the cylinder. The grip RAC is an obvious fake and the US stamp is poorly done. About the only thing I see that equates to a Colt SAA is that they both are chambered in .45 Colt.
If you're interested in genuine Colt SAAs start with a book purchase.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Colt SAA parts fit this gun and the barrel threads are the same as a 1st and 2nd generation. At least for me and other people I've known. I can't say if all Hartford Models had that ability. Fit and finish is usually excellent, but the heat treating of the hammer, triggers, and probably other internal parts are horrible. If one of these can be bought REAL cheap or if someone is stuck with one, replacing the hammer and trigger with Colt parts could make it a pretty nice gun.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
The description in the add says Colt SAA "Style" and when you read further they admit its an Italian copy.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Colt SAA parts fit this gun and the barrel threads are the same as a 1st and 2nd generation. At least for me and other people I've known. I can't say if all Hartford Models had that ability. Fit and finish is usually excellent, but the heat treating of the hammer, triggers, and probably other internal parts are horrible. If one of these can be bought REAL cheap or if someone is stuck with one, replacing the hammer and trigger with Colt parts could make it a pretty nice gun.

I agree with Wyatt's assessment, though in my case I haven't found the Hartford's I have come across to be any worse in the parts than any other major clone. Colt parts do fit, though. I have also come across quite a few ASM guns and most were really bad. Somehow the Hartford's are always really good. Worth looking into if you can get them pretty cheap. I just remembered a conversation I had with Jim Martin regarding how in the early days the Italian companies would do the heat treating of the parts on giant trays all at once, and if you ever cooked in an oven, you know that heat transfers to different places differently. So that could be why I haven't had problems with the internals of the ones I have had and Wyatt has. Just luck of the draw which parts came from which side of the tray.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The description in the add says Colt SAA "Style" and when you read further they admit its an Italian copy.
Hey, Mike. I just noticed your avatar is the post card I have in my living room. Did you find it somewhere else or got it from me posting it before? It's a great picture and an even better avatar.
bighipiron, I've had two Hartford single action .45s and one ASM Dragoon. They all had parts heat treated over a candle it seemed. But Jim Martin told me the same thing when I talked to him about it. Those three ASM guns were excellent otherwise.Glad to see you lucked on on yours.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SN is not "Colt-like." Colt never put the SA above the serial number.
I understand that but if someone were to look the number up that hadn't seen a real Colt SAA I can easily see them thinking it was the real thing.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Hey Wyatt.. I've had that pic in my files for about ten years now. I don't recall where I found it. It's a good one! Thanks for commenting.

Hey, Mike. I just noticed your avatar is the post card I have in my living room. Did you find it somewhere else or got it from me posting it before? It's a great picture and an even better avatar.
bighipiron, I've had two Hartford single action .45s and one ASM Dragoon. They all had parts heat treated over a candle it seemed. But Jim Martin told me the same thing when I talked to him about it. Those three ASM guns were excellent otherwise.Glad to see you lucked on on yours.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The firearm is marked in numerous places, reading
"ASM Italy EMF S.A. Cal" on the underside of the barrel,
"PAT. SEPT. 19 1871 - PAT. JULY 2 1872 - US" on the left side of the frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts