Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
The grips that Arizonagrips sell, they are listed as 'Magna tusk' and are their version of Ivory grips. I like how they fit them to your grip frame but I can't seem to find any pics of them. Does anyone here have a pair?
I have several pairs of Magna Tusk grips on my SAAs (USFA, 1G and 2G SAA) - I will post pics. I was impressed by the quality and fit of the grips, and by the customer friendly folks (Davis and Brendan) at Arizona Custom Grips. The grips are solid and fit my hand well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here are some pix - custom jigged bone Magna Tusk on my 2G 1957 SAA and John Wayne style Magna Tusk on my 1G 1902 SAA.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
AZ Custom Grips uses an aging process to simulate old ivory for the JW grips - they offer these 'aged ivory' grips in a non-JW version as well. The profile is the standard profile they offer - i did not request anything specific. Note that the bottom of the grips are flat versus the standard Colt configuration.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe they look authentic compared to other JW style grips I have seen. I have not seen actual 'aged ivory' grips so cannot really provide an authoritative opinion. I will say I am very pleased with the way they look vs pix I have seen of the Duke's shooter (in Rio Bravo and True Grit for example).

PS - the color of the aged ivory grips in the AZ Custom Grips ads on ebay, etc. are much different from the way they actually look. Search for 'Arizona Custom Grips' and compare the color they show in their ad to the pix I posted...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I ordered a set for one of my USFA single actions. They needed to have the locating pin hole drilled as it is not in the same location as on a Colt and they needed to be fit to the frame.
They are a very hard, dense material. And there is no way that they would be mistaken for ivory. They have not aged at all even after being rubbed down with gun oil each time the gun was and I doubt that they will. I'm not that impressed. The Micarta stocks that I bought from Hogue for my Colt look better.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had a poor, rude experience on ebay with these guys and some real clownish behavior from the days 5 years ago when they were trying to buy this and that low to resell high on another account. I was selling something and they wanted it cheaper to accommodate their margin and they lied their ass off to try and manipulate me. The grip business has a pretty low barrier to entry, and these guys remain amateurs working their way up. I do give them credit for trying and the apparent earnest attempt to make a real business out of it, but....

"Magna Tusk" is them cutting white .5 inch sheet delrin or acetal into grip panels in their cabinet / millwork shop in Gilbert AZ. And their aging process is some sort of pedestrian yellow stain.

With due respect, that's not wonderful fit on those Colts that are shown. Its adequate fit, certainly. And grips are too fat on top. As a matter of taste, AZ Grips are really too gauche and cheap to put on a real Colt SAA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a poor, rude experience on ebay with these guys and some real clownish behavior from the days 5 years ago when they were trying to buy this and that low to resell high on another account. I was selling something and they wanted it cheaper to accommodate their margin and they lied their ass off to try and manipulate me. The grip business has a pretty low barrier to entry, and these guys remain amateurs working their way up. I do give them credit for trying and the apparent earnest attempt to make a real business out of it, but....

"Magna Tusk" is them cutting white .5 inch sheet delrin or acetal into grip panels in their cabinet / millwork shop in Gilbert AZ. And their aging process is some sort of pedestrian yellow stain.

With due respect, that's not wonderful fit on those Colts that are shown. Its adequate fit, certainly. And grips are too fat on top. As a matter of taste, AZ Grips are really too gauche and cheap to put on a real Colt SAA.
I had a very different experience with these guys. Extremely friendly and helpful! They really helped me understand and made sure I knew exactly what type of grip to get for my SAA. I LOVE the "magna tusk" material. Much better than any bonded ivory or any other imitation ivory I've ever owned. Do note, I've owned several pairs of authentic ivory grips, and other than material value, I'd just about take the magna tusk any day of the week as far as durability and appearance goes.

Again, very nice folks that work there, Davis and Brendan, and very professional! I will be going back for more...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have some on my USFA China Camp. Mine are the JW’s and believe it was thefirst set for a USFA. I thought they were great to work with. Had several emails and conversations on the USFA fit. Convinced them that true fitting was their only real option.

I had no doubt these would not look like real ivory. I was making my own version of a Duke tribute gun. His weren’t real ivory either. They are a good, dense, durable material.

Dan

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I purchased a set of Arizona Magna-tusk grips on eBay a few months back due to their similarity to John Wayne’s grips on True Grit. I have a 1901 Frontier Six Shooter, which is the same year and model that he had in the film. One thing that impressed me was that no fitting was needed. They have a nice feel in my opinion.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I did say a few words there didn't I.

Dane, didn't you, as a gunsmith, in the last few months get heavily involved here on the forum in a public and private critique of Lever Action Bill's gunsmith work? You weren't even a party to that right, you just felt the situation needed your wisdom, say?

Dane, what's your deal been with trying to piss in my ear?

You're welcome to call me on the phone and discuss.

·
Registered
488 Posts
One grip maker talking chit about another grip maker....imagine that.
Cmon Dane, lets talk some 'chit'. You're the one who wanted to troll me on a year old post. You're a gunsmith, the SAA thread sage & crank, and you have advanced opinions on SA grips. You've made 6800 posts in 6 years, commenting on anything and everything, but often on SA grips. Let's talk some 'chit'.

Go up to that 7/7/19 USRoady post where he shows some pictures of the ebay grips.

The guys in Gilbert there sell a plastic grip set for $75. I care how many of those they sell about as much as you'd care about some guy, anywhere, buying a $300 Norinco at Bass Pro back in the day when you were building high buck 4 figure 1911's. You weren't in competition with Norinco, and I don't do what the Gilbert guys do. But yes, I did make a short tradesmens / aficionados eval of their grips here. Which is, they have an amateur-ish no taper anywhere thing going on and that as such they obviously render from acetal or delrin sheet (... which would bring us to the idea of "Magna Tusk" actually being a thing in the way they claim... Anyway...).

You care to disagree with me on that 'chit', Dane, care belittle the quality of my pro observations with your own pro observations, care to differ with them such that we generally might like similar things in SA grips? That would be interesting, interesting content for the forum! But importantly, you want to tell how I'm outta line, how this is 'talking chit' about another grip maker such that I might have decent insights to share, as you do and have with your 6800 retired gunsmith posts?

Or is this rather your thing about trying to piss in my ear on here now and then, for whatever weird, crank reason that got stuck in your head.

Go, lets talk 'chit' Dane.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The grips that Arizonagrips sell, they are listed as 'Magna tusk' and are their version of Ivory grips. I like how they fit them to your grip frame but I can't seem to find any pics of them. Does anyone here have a pair?
I just a pair today. Aged stag. Nice but I wanted to make a one piece grip. Just got a new Colt a couple of days ago
I just got a set today Aged stag. Nice grips but they have a screw hole, what I really wanted was a one piece

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several pairs of Magna Tusk grips on my SAAs (USFA, 1G and 2G SAA) - I will post pics. I was impressed by the quality and fit of the grips, and by the customer friendly folks (Davis and Brendan) at Arizona Custom Grips. The grips are solid and fit my hand well.
I have been trying to contact the store. Do you have their telephone number?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think az custom grips are great and fair price but after i installed them i wiped my whole gun down with g96 gun oil before that i wiped the gun with cabelas muzzleloaders cleaner lubricant my gun is an 1877 colt saa the distressed grips i bought had the brown finish come off in patches exposing dull yellow underneath will be calling them soon to see why and if they can replace them they originally did look great. will update as to how they handled my concerns

1 - 20 of 43 Posts