Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen a new colt in a gun store? i haven\'t

i have been a colt owner for some time and i would like to have a new one. i just have a few questions and would apreciate ant reponse.
are they really not selling pistols to the public anymore?
if they are selling them, what is a 1991a1 in blue or parkerized going for?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: has anyone seen a new colt in a gun store? i haven\'t

In roughly the past three months I have picked up three new manufacture Colt 45's. One was an XSE Gov't model, which I gave $825 for (which is way to high). The other two were Gov't 1991A1's, which I gave $595 for each. Last week my dealer also received a Colt Cowboy which he got from RSR Wholesalers. He is asking $695 for it. It appears that Colt is currently shipping guns on a hit or miss basis, or they are sending so few to wholesalers that it appears that dealers are getting none.

·
Registered
20 Posts

A new M1991A1 showed up in a local store last week. The latest spec change seems to be a Videcki trigger rather that black plastic. The price was a whopping $620. I saw three "new" '91's at a local gunshow for $500, so there are still some deals around.

·
Registered
45 Posts

My dealer in Indiana received a new stainless Combat Commander on the 15th of November. It was the XSE configuration, which is kind of a cross between the XS version and the older enhanced style. Still a nice gun, but wholesale to the dealer (I saw the invoice) was $689, which means he'll probably stick $8xx something on it. Nice looking gun though.

·
Registered
127 Posts

We have five new Colts in our showcase, including a Gold Cup Trophy, an XSE Government "Enhanced", and three 1991A1s. RSR has a new stainless Commander on order for us that should be here this week.

We aren't yet getting anything we want on demand, but the situation is getting better quickly. And the quality of the new guns has been worth the wait. Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Registered
3 Posts

For what it's worth, a year or so back I picked up a Series 80 Stainless Combat Commander that I think was part of the ramp-up for the XS Series. I paid about $630 for it, which was a bit of a bargain right off, because that was the price of a standard stainless Series 80. Mine out of the box came with Novak sights, rosewood double-diamond walnut grips, a full-length two-piece guiderod, and polished slide and receiver flats. I've found it to be EXTREMELY accurate (i'd say 1'-1.5" groups)and a superb carry gun. I suspect that it had been worked over by the Colt Custom Shop as part of the ramp-up-slide to receiver fit is exemplery, as is the action smoothness and trigger pull. The gunshop where I got it from had 2 Combat Commanders and 2 Governments in this configuration-my only regret is that I didn't also pick up one of the Govermnents also! My feeling is that the XS's from what I've read are just as good, and also come standard with front slide retracting grooves and a dehorned carry-bevel package-I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one like mine and/or one of the new XS's. Happy Colting!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Yes, the local gunshop just got in a brand-new 1991A1 Stainless GM, with Videcki trigger. The price tag is $599. I gave the pistol a fairly thorough looking-over. It seems to be a well-made product.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I attended a Seattle-area gun show yesterday, and saw a new XSE Gov't Model, and a (well-)used XS Lightweight Commander. Both were in the $900 range, which is too much, in my estimation.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Although this thread has run out of steam a little, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. My story echoes that of Jon above pretty much. I found this model back in August for around $640. They also had the Government model ,same price. My only regrets is that I didn't go ahead and get the pair. I like this one better than my Kimber Royal Carry.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I came home yesterday with a NIB 1991 Colt Commander in stainless steel for $549. The mom & pop gun store has had a steady supply of Colts for as long as I have been going to their store. Actually the prices seemed to have dropped a bit recently (I bought the same gun 4 months ago at the same store for $599). They are out there (Colts that is).........Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts

Well, Jspy, looks like we lucked out. About the only thing(s) I'm contemplating to additionally having done to mine is to have a carry/bevel package performed (dehorning sharp edges)and getting a standard recoil spring guide and recoil spring plug (for field carry-so I don't have to lug around a hex wrench to field-strip{i.e., for the 2-piece guide-rod}). I found the standard Colt recoil spring a bit anemic, so I replaced both it and the firing pin spring with a standard-weight Wolff spring set; the change immediately eliminated any hesitation for the weapon to go into battery with certain wide-mouthed hollowpoints (Cor-Bon, Hydra-Shok). Well, Happy Colting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts