Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Pacific did use the .38 Special for the Cali Combat Models so the .38 makes sense. What doesn't is why they would scratch the label out and alter it instead of using one of the Silver labels we as used to seeing on the Cali Combat models.

Since the Cali Combat is a aftermarket conversion most collectors stay away from things like this but to someone who likes the different, it might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had the documented traceability from all involved it might be wort a good chunk of change.I do like the looks of it.D*

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe it is the pictures and my glasses are dirty but it looks like the proof marks are missing. There are swirl marks on the side plate and it looks flat (sharp edges) compared to the rest of the gun. You can see the 8" barrel imprint in the styrofoam tray. Definitely aftermarket. Question is "who".

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
oh my that looks nice!

At the very end of the Python run, I was negotiating to have a run of 50 5" Pythons made....we were within a week or so of a deal when the plug got pulled.....just to torture myself, and everyone else, it was 15 blue, 15 nickel, 20 stainless.....and it was just under 50K. again a victim of procrastinating....

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
is this a cut down barrel or a new 5" barrel? and did colt make that 5" barrel?
Colt had a bunch of 8" barreled .38 Special Pythons that weren't selling well. These were sold to Pacific International. PI re-chambered the guns to .357 and shortened these 8" barrels to 3" creating the California Combat Python. It looks like maybe PI made a few 5" barreled Pythons also. I remember a friend of mine mentioning these 5" Pythons some years ago. I think this Python has a Colt barrel that was cut from 8" to 5".

Original or not, a great looking Python in my opinion.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's something I've never seen or knew about. I really like it. I've got a 4" that I always(98% of the time)shoot 38's in anyway. Sure is unique, regardless of its heritage. I'd buy one if made today, but probably couldn't afford this one OR new production, if that were ever to occur. Prices Pythons bring today, I think Colt would be surprised at the number they would sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.