Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a phot of two Colt DA New Army/Navy Model revolvers. Both have a pushbutton that locks the hammer. The second one has a push bar cut into the rear gripstrap that does the same job as the button (which is disconnected). The parts are numbered and the grip has been cut away for viewing on the one with the safety bar on the grip strap. I was initially thinking maybe a toolroom gun??? Anyone seen anything like this on any other kind of revolver or on any other Colts? Bob Best

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never seen anything like that before. Locks the hammer? Why, do you think? To what end?

What is a toolroom gun?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Onomea,

The buttons work like a safety device... (The key lock of 100 years ago)... you push the big button in to set it (lock the hammer) the small button at the bottom of the big button protrudes. This releases the mechanism when you push it in. On the nickel gun, the grip bar takes the place of the small button that releases the mechanism. By squeezing it the "safety is released and the revolver will function. This may have been an idea for a safety device for the British or European market ... they used safeties on revolvers there...

A toolroom (or experimental prototype) gun is one that is used to make modifications in the Research and Developement department. Sometimes the modifications see "daylight" in a new variation that is marketed and other times the idea is discarded...

Some collectors/writers have postulated the Colt used the small square to designate a experimental prototype or toolroom gun. I personally believe that the small square was used for a new material or machining process rather than to designate a prototype or toolroom gun.

I have one of the original protoype revolvers of the Colt Model 1889 New Navy that was developed by C. J. Ehbets... (See page 322 in the Book of Colt Firearms, or page 7 in my book). It does not have any squares on it at all... Hope that answers your question... Bob Best

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Bob:

I love reading your posts, I have learned so much!! My question is (and I know this has been answered) What is the name of your book again and where can I purchase one?

Thanks in advance...........Julie

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Fascinating stuff. Never seen one like that before. Thats why I love this forum. Hope I get to meet you in Louisville Bob. I'll be attending for the first time. can't wait!
D Frame aka Rick

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Julie,

Thank you for the kind words! Here is the information on my book that you ask for. I'm sorry that I can only post a black and white photo of the cover ... it is in color on the book. Here you go... Thanks again! Bob Best

A Study of Colt’s New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers
1889—1908
By Robert Best

The first work of its kind, “A Study…” is a detailed look into Colt’s development and production of the Double Action Swing Out Cylinder New Army and Navy series revolvers. Civilian model production, U.S. Army and Navy models and contracts, and other Government organizations using these revolvers are all covered in this book. In depth research by the author into Colt’s shipping records, and the Government Archives is used to document the material presented. Model variations and serial number ranges are also presented in six color charts and a complete listing of all variations. There are over 150 photographs with 24 pages of color photos to show specific markings and manufacturing changes. Fully documented. 276 pages in this hardbound edition. Suggested Retail $69.95.

Send check or money order (no credit cards) for $69.95, plus $6.00 per book for USPS Media Rate (un-insured) shipping and handling to:
Robert Best
4307 South Larwin Avenue
Concord, CA 94521

Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Add $2.50 for USPS insurance. Priority mail shipping is available in the Continental US for $13.55 per book. Shipments to CA addresses require addition of 8.25% sales tax. For shipping to destinations outside of the U.S., contact the authors for a postage quote.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Rick,
Glad you enjoyed seeing the two guns ... I won't be able to make it to Louisville, but maybe another time... I would enjoy meeting you also... I think you will enjoy the show. Hope you have fun! Thanks! Bob

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Onomea,

Here is another toolroom gun that I have. This one is a cutaway that has an additional sliding metal tab fixed to the cylinder release thumb piece. There is a notch milled into the left side of the frame to allow it to lock the cylinder release to the rear... Why, I don't know.... Any comments or ideas are welcome!

No of these guns appeared in my book as I had reached the maximun space limitations set by the publishers... Guess they will have to go into volume 2! :) .... Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the information Bob, you'll be seeing my order!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the explanations and the education, Bob! Pretty darn amazing... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts