Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my bid and watched the auction bid amount change to my bid. The auction closes and to my shock im not the high bidder. I look at the bid history and a guy bid the exact amout I did 3 sec before me. So when it changed it was his bid not mine.. Guess I will pay more attention next time. LOL O well guess it wasnt meant to be.

Bid History(If two bidders place the same bid amount, the earliest bidder wins)
Date / TimeAmountBidder User NameCurrently Winning
8/3/2013 8:57:58 PM EST$950.00j***u A+(13)*
8/3/2013 9:01:37 PM EST$950.00skilledhunter A+(7)
8/3/2013 12:30:07 PM EST$850.00J***6 A+(37)
7/31/2013 10:15:50 PM EST$750.00J***6 A+(37

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
his actual bid was 950.00 to begin with so when you bid you can not match him you should have gone 955.00 and you would have got it.he would not have bid against himself so when the your bid went in the auction side saw your bid and put his high bid in.
so like i said if you woud have bid higger than 950 you might have got it.
next time don't wait until the last seconds, lesson learned

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
On GB you have the 15 minute rule....anytime a bid is placed within 15 minutes of the posted closing time it resets the clock for another 15 minutes before the auction will end.....I've had several auctions that I have had to stay up extra late to see them to the end!

Can't snipe it like on Ebay!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Haven't had that happen but agree with coltsixguns; if it were at the end of the auction the 15 minute rule kicks in.

I recently had a disconcerting auction though. I was high bid and it ended that way. the Gunbroker's email informed me that I won the auction. But as I looked at the ended auction it generated this note;

This item has been Sold!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
his actual bid was 950.00 to begin with so when you bid you can not match him you should have gone 955.00 and you would have got it.he would not have bid against himself so when the your bid went in the auction side saw your bid and put his high bid in.
so like i said if you woud have bid higger than 950 you might have got it.
next time don't wait until the last seconds, lesson learned
I know..the point was.. I didnt know there was another bidder bidding the "exact" amount as me. And it took my bid..and the winning bid was 950.00 same as my bid. I didint know GB would take a bid if that amount had already been bid. Ebay would of rejected the bid and told you to bid again. GB accepted my bid. But again high the bid was 750.00 at the time I bid. So when it changed to 950.00 I assumed it was my bid. I didint verify the bidder just the amount. who would of guessed another guy entered the exact amount I did.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Bid in odd amounts - instead of $100 for a $75 item - bid $105.35.

You should get it for whatever exceeds the other bidder, provided you out bid him in the first place.

Better luck on your next auction.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Bid in odd amounts - instead of $100 for a $75 item - bid $105.35.

You should get it for whatever exceeds the other bidder, provided you out bid him in the first place.

Better luck on your next auction.
You can try to out think and out manover the other bidders, you can bid early, bid late, bid even or bid odd. The bottom line is you have to bid the most to win. That's the real trick.

J.F.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've won several auctions on GB and what I've learned is; decide what the top amount you're willing to pay, bid it and wait. The bid will only show the next $5 increment, but you will be protected by others outbidding you up to your set limit. If I'm outbid at that point, no sweat, it's more than I wanted to pay anyway. I also wait until at least the last hour of bidding to see if it goes past my limit before I bother to put the bid in.
If it's a fair buy now price, I do it rather than lose it. If no bids and the starting price is about what I will pay, I wait till just outside the 15 min rule before giving it a try...that works sometimes too. Some guys wait to 1 min before end of auction and start the clock going again...stupid.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate the 15 minute rule..unless im selling :cool:

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Sounds like a little Software glitch can occur, if two identical bids from different Bidders, occur within too narrow of a time.

Especially if YOU were shown as being the High Bidder, while the 'system' was instead, prioritizing the identical Bid which came in two seconds before yours was registered.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I may bid early or late. I don't think it matters one bit, your rolling the dice either way. Its just that sometimes when your " big genius over the top well thought out" bidding stategy works out, it makes you feel smart or like you have done something clever,,,, but in reality that's all just BS. The fact of the matter is you were just the man who bid the most. Its like when you guess at a multiple choice question and happen to get it right,, when you didn't have a clue in hell what the answer was. Its basically the same deal.

John

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
The 15 minute rule is a good way to wear another bidder down if it's a "bedtime" ending time. I do wait until it's the last minute and then reset the clock for another 15 minutes and I've so far got both auctions where I was willing to stay up and play the game and wore the other guy down so that he gave up and went to bed instead of waiting another 15 minutes to see if I was going to bid again. I guess in the end, they didn't want the items as much as I did. :)

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Well it looks to me like the other guy had bid $950 but the price was only at $750.....it is called proxy bid....put your price in and walk away....GB does the bidding for you....you should of had 15 minutes to decide if you wanted to bid again....try it next time....RR.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The 15 minute rule is a good way to wear another bidder down if it's a "bedtime" ending time. I do wait until it's the last minute and then reset the clock for another 15 minutes and I've so far got both auctions where I was willing to stay up and play the game and wore the other guy down so that he gave up and went to bed instead of waiting another 15 minutes to see if I was going to bid again. I guess in the end, they didn't want the items as much as I did. :)
I have put in a large enough proxy bid at times, I have made the other bidder stay up all night until he wore his self out trying to nickel and dime me 15 minutes at a time. It works both ways,,

J.F.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,513 Posts
I once put in a good bid on Gunbroker and when it got down to less than 1 minute some guy put in a $5 bid so it reset the clock. He kept doing this for an hour at $5 bids. About that time my phone rang and it was the seller, I knew the seller, and he said: Cam I hate guys that do this. Is it OK with you if I end the auction and of course I said yes. He is a seller who's auctions end each week and he wanted them done. I still wonder what that bidder thought when the plug got pulled.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I once put in a good bid on Gunbroker and when it got down to less than 1 minute some guy put in a $5 bid so it reset the clock. He kept doing this for an hour at $5 bids. About that time my phone rang and it was the seller, I knew the seller, and he said: Cam I hate guys that do this. Is it OK with you if I end the auction and of course I said yes. He is a seller who's auctions end each week and he wanted them done. I still wonder what that bidder thought when the plug got pulled.
I did not know a Seller could 'end' an Auction which had Bids occurring and is about to close.

Personally, I prefer Gunbroker Auctions where I am the only Bidder.

Which means, I HAVE to watch that last "15 Minutes' Like-a-Hawk, of course! Same as anyway...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,513 Posts
I did not know a Seller could 'end' an Auction which had Bids occurring and is about to close.

Personally, I prefer Gunbroker Auctions where I am the only Bidder.

Which means, I HAVE to watch that last "15 Minutes' Like-a-Hawk, of course! Same as anyway...
I don't know but he ended the auction. This was a few years ago so maybe they have changed there system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another strategy I find helpful is to open with a minimum bid, with or without a small proxy, as soon as I see something I want. If no one bids over me, I wait just outside 15 minutes, and raise my proxy to my top $. This shows as another bid, but the amount does not change, the bidder's name stays the same, and the clock does not reset.

There is no way to know if you have scared off another bidder, but it works more times than not. I guess this would be similar to telling the other guy you are "all in", so take your best shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts