Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents, please take a look at this link from the 1911 Forum.
Colt Government Slide...pre 70 - 1911Forum
The seller has a post war pre Series 70 slide for sale.
It may just be the photos but it appears so matte to me as to be parked. I asked the seller a question about it and he said that pre Series 70 slides were less glossy than the Series 70 slides. I was already aware of that. Do very early post war Govt. Models have slides that are so matte they look like parkerizing? If not, I think it was refinished.
I am not that well versed on Govt. Models so I am just trying to learn some more. That's also why I don't want to PM the seller or ask him in his thread if the slide is refinished. I already asked him one question, I don't want to hassle him but I am trying to learn as much as I can. If the finish looked better to me I was thinking of buying it but since I decided not to I don't want to clutter up his ad or take up more of his time.
I took a look on Gunbroker and found several pre Series 70 guns for sale. Some were 1950,51, 60,65. & 66. To my eyes the finish on every one of the slides of these pre Series 70 guns look quite a bit glossier than the for-sale slide.
I am pretty sure the finish was changed for the Series 70, Brent told us Colt calls it National Match Blue (I love it!).
It could be his pictures or that very early post war Govt. slides were that matte, but I think it's been refinshed.

Please educate me!
Thanks in advance for your comments, folks.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I'm not much help, but I have to say I haven't seen a Pre series 70 slide like that either. BUT I am rather young !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
After viewing the pics............That slide could be just "Bone Dry" needing some oil, and/or, the lighting for the photo is poor?....I can't tell for your, but yes, I'd be concerned about the finish also.

Tom

·
Registered
665 Posts
No finish I've ever seen. Last pre-70 I owned was a beautiful blued finish.

I'd pass on it myself

·
Registered
331 Posts
If that is supposed to be a 1950s-60s Commercial slide, I can say that I have never seen one finished like that. I have owned both pre '70 Series and '70 Series guns, and seen and handled others. It really appears to me to be one that someone either matte blued or parkerized. I have learned to "Never say never", but I still think it's most likely refinished....

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
other than the 1911 replacment "hard slides" that were manufactured as replacements for 1911/1911a1s, to the best of my knowledge colt never manufactured a slide in that finish in the period between the 1911a1 and the 1991.
that slide falls in that in between period so i think it's refinished and not original.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
his first post states it is matte, but not parked.
if it was original, i would think he would have said so.
my early 50's commander is a nice bright blue, not a matte.
methinks the guy's tongue is forked a bit. :)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
his first post states it is matte, but not parked.
if it was original, i would think he would have said so.
my early 50's commander is a nice bright blue, not a matte.
methinks the guy's tongue is forked a bit. :)
If that's the case and he's aware of it he should say it's been refinished. Some guys don't know. Given his text he may know and just not want to say. It's not my place to give him a hard time, but that always disappoints me.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It MAY be a '50's-era slide with commercial markings sold to the government for rebuild. Here's one. Note the markings. This one is parkerized; the one for sale may be; it looks it. The seller may not know what parkerizing is. Ask for better photos.
Bob

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bob. I don't want ask for better pics because I already know I won't buy it if doesn't have commercial bluing. My primary interest are Govt. Models from the 20s-60s.
I am aware of the rebuild slides the Govt. bought for 1911A1s. There's one for sale currently, with original packing.
It occured to me his could be one of those slides, but it's hard to remember to cover all the points sometimes when posting a thread.

I appreciate you mentioning this posibility.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I dunno, Bob. His text says ".....nice 50s - 60s era 1911 slide for sale"......."Finish is matte post War but not Parked."
So, maybe he doesn't know the difference. It certainly looks parked to me. Better pics would have been nice. Even in zoom I can't make out the markings well enough to see if they show signs of over polishing indicating a refinish. The markings are exactly the same as the example in your picture. It was kind of you to post it for referrence. Without better pics I think we have to assume a Govt. purchase for rebuild, or a refinish.
Either way it doesn't suit my Mod O interests. Had it been a commercially finished slide I might have bought it.

Thanks to all for your opinions!
Keep 'em coming :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts