Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
No question a refinish and remarked. Good catch on the 1916 circle pony. But the most obvious is the ugly, modern hot salt blue on a 1916 gun that should be carbona blue.

Th gun totally lost any value as a "original" 1st Gen at that point. I wouldn't call it a "nice" refinish, anyone knowing the actual difference the work is obviously..bad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No question a refinish and remarked. Good catch on the 1916 circle pony. But the most obvious is the ugly, modern hot salt blue on a 1916 gun that should be carbona blue.

Th gun totally lost any value as a "original" 1st Gen at that point. I wouldn't call it a "nice" refinish, anyone knowing the actual difference the work is obviously..bad.
And that’s why I will never be in the deep end of the pool. The knowledge here is amazing. I’m learning something new all the time. Nice revolver never the less. At least in my uneducated opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
#1: It's sitting atop a Uberti box!
#2. Stocks worn and dinged more than the adjacent metal surfaces is a problem. Even if the gun is original (Hmmm...) why put worn, dinged, stocks on a new-appearing gun? Someone will get taken - make sure it isn't you.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
BGood said:
The 1916s should have the "rocking pony" and will look like this..
As was said prior, nope, just a regular stand alone pony. Some one had about half the little details right on the refinish. Makes me wonder why all the work and not get them right. Kinda odd to me when you look at the gun and see those errors and then what they did do right. Modern hot salt blue a early 1st Gen Colt? Only a complete hack would do that.

I agree it is a nice revolver. Just not a "nice" 1st Gen Colt. To me it is just a trap waiting for the right, uneducated, and eager Colt buyer. BTDT :cry:

And I bet the bait is around $3K. Hope not. But more than likely.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
There is a ding on the barrel address between the T and the S in COLT'S that has bluing in it. But amazingly, the 'V' triangle stamp on the frame has the bluing gone like it should! It is a refinish, but I will still say it is a good one because it looks good. Note I did not say it looks like a 1916 Colt should. If it is priced as a refinished gun with re-cut letters and if it IS a true Colt, it should be priced accordingly.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
It is refinished, but I think it looks great and would shoot the heck out of it! The 1916s should have the "rocking pony" and will look like this:

View attachment 740963
I was going to say the gun‘s cylinder was not original because there’s no bevel, but your’s in top picture is like that, too so must be right.
I’ve seen a couple refinished guns long ago with case color like that on the gun in question.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,917 Posts
The beveled cylinder was already gone by this point in time. The SN on the cylinder is on the rear face for this year.
20210608_210412.jpg

20210608_210354.jpg

20210608_210444.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
See the pic. Pete

1 - 20 of 53 Posts