Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's a good looking pistol. I've never seen one in that .38 Wadcutter before. I'm assuming (I know what happens when you do) that that means you can't fire just any .38 Specials like I'd use in my Model 10 out of it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliments guys. It does need touched up some, but aside from that, these are good looking pieces. Can anyone recommend a cold blue agent to touch this up? These are the royal blue, btw.

These are pretty scarce, yes?
Yes they are. They were made by Colt to compete with the S&W model 52. However, the 52 outsold these MKIII National Match / Midrange wadcutters handedly and so Colt discontinued them in the early 70s. I think they were made from 1962 to 1974, with only approx 7k being produced. In the same time frame, I think the 52 sold 2x to 3x as many if not more.

I've never seen one in that .38 Wadcutter before. I'm assuming (I know what happens when you do) that that means you can't fire just any .38 Specials like I'd use in my Model 10 out of it?
I too rarely see them except for my first one, which is my icon. Its probably my favorite Colt although I've got a few since I made the wadcutter my icon. You are right to say it will not accept just any 38 specials. It needs full wadcutter loads, which are seated inside the case. From the side, the appear to be unloaded. Although this diminishes the cartridge capacity, these are not meant for long distance shooting, moreso for 50 yds and less.

Hey .455 eley, curse you for discussing the model 10 on the Colt forum! You should be shooting an Official Police, Police Positive Special, Trooper or something! Way to muddy up my thread!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would leave it as is....it's not that badly worn. Nice piece in the box!

Hey...my wife's people are from PIQUA, OH ;) I've actually been there!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Awesome pistol. Like all bullseye shooters, I went through a phase of wanting a .38 for the centerfire stage. I signed out an AMU .38 kit gun from FT Benning and shot it quite a bit. I eventually bought a converted .38 Colt with Bo Mars. I always shot the Colt better than the Smith 52. Leave that one alone and shoot it some. The cold blue will be instantly noticible.
Bob

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also in favor of leaving this terrific Colt alone. If I was to buy it I want the light scratchs, not a fix.
Agreed. Leave it alone.

Great Colt, congratulations Midrange. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts