Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Will travel? No just kidding...

From the serial number it looks to have been made in 1883 if this is a Single Action Army. We will need pictures to tell you much else.

Reactions: chaosrob

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to this forum TTom.

I agree, an 1883 built SAA. A black powder frame, with heavy chamfer on cyl front edge, and screw retention of the cylinder pin of course. Checkering on hammer spur should have a border on all 4 sides (double lines at the bottom), coneshaped firing pin, and is fixed.

The second year of major shipments of 4 3/4" and 5 1/2" barrel lengths. Last year for the flat bottomed trigger guard until it returned in 1917.

What's the barrel length? Any chance there is a US on the frame behind the patent dates?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1883 saa

Welcome to this forum TTom.

I agree, an 1883 built SAA. A black powder frame, with heavy chamfer on cyl front edge, and screw retention of the cylinder pin of course. Checkering on hammer spur should have a border on all 4 sides (double lines at the bottom), coneshaped firing pin, and is fixed.

The second year of major shipments of 4 3/4" and 5 1/2" barrel lengths. Last year for the flat bottomed trigger guard until it returned in 1917.

What's the barrel length? Any chance there is a US on the frame behind the patent dates?
Barrel length is 5 1/2", and yes it is stamped US.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Barrel length is 5 1/2", and yes it is stamped US.
Thanks for your help
If the serial numbers all match, it could be a legit US Military contract gun refurbished and cut to 5 1/2" at the Colt factory: a 1st category "Artillery Model" (collector's term). If #s don't match it's been refurbished at the Springfield Armory, a 2nd category "Artillery Model".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For Tony Colt SL

I am going to be in Nashville next week. Is that close enough to you that I could bring the gun with me to show you?

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Can't tell a whole lot from the one dark picture, but the grips sure look like they have some burl in them and that's certainly not the norm for a walnut gripped US gun.
Can you tell if the grips are old or newer replacements?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great wood, don't know if they are original, it was in my grandfathers collection. He died about 30 years ago. They aren't very worn, so might have been replaced.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Actually original walnut will look better than replacement walnut unless it's several grades above standard walnut. Dave Lanara, the premium SAA restorer, has a very difficult time acquiring walnut equal to period SAA walnut for grips. Environmental conditions have changed and walnut does not grow with the same density as it once did many years ago. He has to search for sources of old walnut removed from very old homes, etc., to get the proper grain walnut for SAA restorations.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
But he's been successful in locating a supply as of last year.
I don't know how he finds it but he always seems to. The stories of the sources he finds for the old walnut are always interesting. The effort he makes for authentic Colt restoration is just incredible. The correct walnut is just one aspect.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts