Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
normally when i want to sell something i know what to ask based on what i paid for it. i suggest you sell your gun on an auction starting at 1$ with no reserve and see what it brings.{www.auctionarms.com} be advised that most reserve type auctions are not even looked at.lacking that i would offer it on this forum at somewhere near what others are listed for and come down if it doesnt sell.it seems we have had quite a discussion as to it`s worth, but anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jon, I have seen no mention of any box or paper work and the condition I feel is around 95% per the pictures (not the best) But "used , is used".Your gun would be considered a top notch shooter, not quite a 'safe queen'.
Collectors want a 'minimum' of 98% condition , prefer, "as new in the box" and will pay accordingly. Too many 'handling marks' on and around trhe grip frame.
Around here they would be in the $650-$750 range, condition and the box , etc.

You use the term "have to sell" so that tends to make this more negotiable by 'innuendo', otherwise you will "hold out".

Fair is fair, you know what you have in the gun and you know what you have to "get" , so there-in lies your answer.

As I like to say at the shows, "this ain't NO museum, this stuff is for sale". You price it right , it will sell.

Good luck.............................

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously, the fiream does not look as bad as the pictures make it out. I made sure the "damage" stood out as much as possible in each picture I took. I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have been so honest! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just kidding. I don't want people to think I'm a dishonest individual. This may sound wrong, but which online auction site usually brings in the most bidders/prices? I want to be fair, but I also don't want my pistol to sell for $1 because only one person saw it, see what I'm saying?

I need a fair starting price that will get bidders interested, and not scared away from bidding. $400, no reserve? I would do the $1 thing, but honestly I'd hang on to the Python for that amount and find another way to get money. This is just the fastest/easiest way to get money without parting with something I've grown fond of.

I'm sure others have been in this position, right?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
If you're concerned about the auction game, just decide what you want for it and offer it on GunsAmerica. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If you're concerned about the auction game, just decide what you want for it and offer it on GunsAmerica. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, that's my problem. I don't know what a fair price is to ask on it. I'd sooner sell it outright than auction it, if only I knew what a fair market value was.

I appreciate the earlier estimate, but I think we're being a bit bearish considering its age, pre-letter S/N and unrestored condition WITH the service stocks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jon, By NO means can anyone say "you're being dishonest", you more than care.You have pictured "everything".....
But , I think you are being hard on yourself.Given all the info, the serial , guns condition and what ever, the fact is the gun will actually sell it self if it's what somebody really needs and /or wants. They will decide if that price is fair or even their budget, as said, there are NO more.
So if looking they MUST decide which way to go, the 'deal' will make the sale and as I said only YOUY know what you got into it and what you want "out of it".
Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough, thank you very much for affirming my thoughts.

I guess I could make an attempt at pricing it, then seeing if anyone will bite. If not I can always go lower, or try an auction site.

Would it be considered fair to add an "Or Best Offer" to my price?

EDIT: Does anyone else have any input as to what they've seen this pistol go for?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
OBO is a very weak position. It says up front that you think you are asking too much or "have to sell it" and would cave in easily. Even without an OBO, you can expect someone to make a lower offer or try to haggle. Nobody will hate you for asking "too much", whatever that is. As said, they will simply not buy it. The market will decide. If you sell it for too little, YOU may hate you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm trying not to hate me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll take it to a local gun store and see if they can appraise it, with it being out there and up front that I'm not going to sell it through them. How much do appraisals usually run?

Good idea?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I'll take it to a local gun store and see if they can appraise it,

Good idea?

[/ QUOTE ] a foolish idea, why pay someone to tell you what you have just been told. market value of your gun today 2-1-06 is 700$ + or - 100$. please check closed auction at www.auctionarms.com, here are a few auction #, just put them in the search box 7078205
7118253 these are closed auctions and not anyones opinion, the gun`s SOLD for this amount WITHIN THE LAST 90 DAYS.hope this helps

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. Sorry to seem stubborn, I assume I just need reassurance and a swift kick to the backside every now and again. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents. Pythons of the ilk of yours can bring anywhere from $700.00 to over $1,200.00, depending on condition, box & papers with it, etc.

I agree with Mr. Simms, it is worth about $700.00 to $750.00 in the condition it seems to be in.

For crying out loud, why don't you put in in the Colt forum classified section, and see what happens.

From what I have seen of my fellow forum members, they are pretty fair. Guys will make offers, and you will get what it is worth, and that's all you can expect.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Last post. I don't understand why you would believe a local gun shop who probably doesn't know that much about Colts or the market for them and who either wouldn't want to be bothered or tell you it's not worth much but they'll take it off your hands over some very knowledgeable people on the forum? Either you don't really want to sell it and you're toying or you have a number in mind and want someone to guess it or you want to be told it's worth exactly $692.47. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a pain. I guess I can set a price and see if it'll get any takers. Would it be considered uncouth to let people "bid" here in this forum's classified section? If so I'd set it low and see what people want to spend on it.

I know some places really frown upon that and require you to set a price. I really do apoligize, I just don't want to break any rules, forum or otherwise.

EDIT: Yes, without a doubt I am selling the Python. Wanted to get that out there.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Last post +1 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Can't speak for this one, but most Forum Admins do not like auctions on their fora and will suggest the existing auction boards. Just my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Edited to say: I could understand you being reluctant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts