Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a listing for a NIB Bright Stainless 38 Super from a seller that happened to be located near Atlanta (my home town) and she had several for sale, one of which was fitted with a really nice set of Elephant Ivory grips. Serial number ELCEN7771! Hey, I remember that serial number, well, part of it anyway:

So I just had to bid on the gun, and did so but came up short. Then I thought of something. Why not contact the seller and ask if she would, in turn, contact the winning bidder to see if he would take serial number ELCEN7773 (another NIB 38 Super I knew she had). She did, and the winning bidder took the replacement Colt and I got 7771 (without the ivory)!

So here they are; not a match, not consecutive, not really that close with all the lettering. Yes, I'm a sucker. Now, if only I can find ELCEN7770!

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's close enough for me.
I would have also bought it for the same reason!

I always look at the serial number to see if there is any mathematical sequencing of any kind.
I'm an engineer so it's kind of in my blood, to look at numbers...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
bought a M1 carbine that has most of my SS #:cool:
still looking for one that has my birthday serial ###'s like 611955 anybody have that one

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey. I know this is a long shot but if anybody has one of the 16 or so Colts with serial # 150013 PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have New Frontier serial numbered 6666NF. I was really looking hard at buying and the serial number cinched it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I own Python Serial Number 132. Some time later I acquired Colt Grizzly Serial Number 132 and I immediately thought to myself that I couldn't sell the Grizzly, had to keep it. Rational eventually sunk in and I realized that no one would give a hoot and neither did I so I sold it off. Haven't looked back or regretted it since.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Did that grizzly sell for more than 5 grand? I still remember when there were plenty of grizzlies and kodiaks for sale at decent prices, and am still kicking myself for not buying every last one of them ... Who knew !

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Well I have been "sucked in" by numbers way to many times to keep track.....

I have had a lot of fun chasing numbers.....RR.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I have an early Dakota 76 rifle in 300 Win Mag. Serial number is 1234. I'm still looking for a 2nd Gen Colt SAA 4.75" .45 LC Nickel that I traded years ago. Serial number 44488SA.

·
Premium Member
20,792 Posts
Well I have been "sucked in" by numbers way to many times to keep track.....
I have had a lot of fun chasing numbers.....RR.
Happens to me all the time.

The Kimber Solo looks a lot like a Colt 1903 Hammerless.
I found a Solo that the S/N ended in "1903" Neat-0

Material property Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I once bought a colt commander, paying no attention to the serial number. When I got home I noticed the serial number was the same number as my street address.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Yes, I look at serial numbers. I have had luck with guns SN# 009, I've only owned 4 guns with serial numbers less than 200 and 3 of them were 009. Those 3 are the only single digit serial numbers I've ever owned, all #9, actually all were marked 009 (2 Colts and one Smith). I also own and have own some guns that end in 009. If you think about only one gun in a thousand ends in 009, what are the odds of me having so many? I was buying a 4" Blued NIB Python one time and the price was about $200-$400 high then over going rate and he wouldnt budge. I looked at the SN# and it ended in 009. I knew I had to leave with it then, not to mention it was absolutley perfect in every way, and yes I still have it :). By the way my lucky number is not 9 lol. I would tell you my lucky number, but then I would compromise some of my passwords lol.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I once had a Marlin 27 that was serial #316. I liked it because it was kind of a low number on a not so common gun and it served as a reference (in my mind) to John 3:16, a great verse. I figured it must be divine intervention...haha. I did end up selling though (forgive me). Speaking of religious overtones, I had a cop friend who had his pick of Sig Sauer 226's when his department got them in. A number of them had 666 in the sequence, and he chose one without the 3 sixes in it due to bad mojo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have never found one with a neat number, but I ORDERED a frame from AR Sales in the late 60's with RLT12837. My initials and dob. IIRC it cost a couple of dollars more to do that.

·
Administrator
7,337 Posts
I wasn't suckered but I remember back in the 80's when Interarms/Walther reintroduced the PPK to the US we received #007 . Probably shoulda bought that one I guess . :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Serial numbers can enhance certain gun buying decisions for me as well, though I only have two remaining examples.

When I bought my Magnum Carry in '98, the dealer had a low serial numbered example but I overlooked it in favor of buying #SY0047 since '47 was my birth year. My favorite special number gun is the Officer's ACP Commencement Issue Limited Edition #FA00001 once held by Colt as part of a display. My Archive letter says: Pistol was a sample and display pistol retained by the Colt factory. It also is featured in R.L. Wilson's book, "Colt An American Legend"

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I wasn't suckered but I remember back in the 80's when Interarms/Walther reintroduced the PPK to the US we received #007 . Probably shoulda bought that one I guess . :bang_wall:
THAT gun with THAT number Mitch, would have made some Bond fan the envy of all his buddies! LOL! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Yes. I bought a USFA Turnbull engraved from Alex Hamilton. The deciding factor was the special serial. SP0069 and I was also manufactured in 69... So we are a match.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.