Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 7 years ago I was in an El Paso gun shop where they had a Colt SAA from around 1900. It was engraved and had ivory grips with an elephant carved on them. I thought it was strange at the time, and though showing period age, I attributed the grips to being a modern addition to the gun from Asia. Shortly there after, while looking through a Montgomery Wards catalog from the 1890's I found them offering ivory grips with an elephant, rather than just the usual eagle or steer head carved on them. Back then the elephant was an exotic and mysterious creature in this country. I have never seen period grips with a carved elephant since then and wonder if anyone else has in countered them? Since Wards were offering them, they should be out there.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Since the elephant made a significant contribution, it is only right that the elephant be honored on the stocks/grips! I'm surprised that design is not seen more often!

·
Registered
300 Posts
It may have been a warning to anyone back in the day, that "hey, I have "seen the elephant" so mess with me at your own hazzard".... just saying......cf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts