Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've never seen it before, i am curious to know if that sticker was put on by Colt, gun shop or individual. You would think it wasn't put on by Colt because i've seen a lot of electroless Python boxes and that sticker was never on any of them.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Never seen that one before...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never seen it before, i am curious to know if that sticker was put on by Colt, gun shop or individual. You would think it wasn't put on by Colt because i've seen a lot of electroless Python boxes and that sticker was never on any of them.
I am obviously curious as well.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
I've never seen it either. Maybe from a distributor for retailers to put on boxes?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I've never seen it either. Maybe from a distributor for retailers to put on boxes?
If not from Colt, it ought to be from a distributor. I mean, who else would go through the trouble and expense of printing stickers like that? I doubt it's a modern addition, simply because there wouldn't be any reason to reproduce or create an oddball "mystery sticker" like this.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If not from Colt, it ought to be from a distributor. I mean, who else would go through the trouble and expense of printing stickers like that? I doubt it's a modern addition, simply because there wouldn't be any reason to reproduce or create an oddball "mystery sticker" like this.
I've seen one other sticker like that, and I can't recall if it was exactly the same or not, but if not, it was pretty similar with the same styling font/design. It was on an early '80s SAA, which I believe was slightly customized, e-nick being one feature. I could tell the sticker was real, like this Python sticker.

So they were either made for Colt or a distributor, I would assume Colt. Apparently they were used sparingly, but then again how many e-nick guns did Colt make, and how many of them still have the original box? Wherever they came from, it's pretty safe to assume it's not a "modern trick". Although, if it gets publicized enough, it may turn into a "modern trick".

Reactions: Olle

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Many years ago I was told that Colt only made 200 of each model in e-nickel...whether there was any truth to that I've no idea...just what I was told (you know...it was probably third or fourth hand by the time I heard it). Maybe that was an original intent by Colt since stainless steel as being offered by other gun makers at the time and Colt wanted something competitive. If there's some truth to what I was told maybe it was successful enough to make a regular option until stainless steel was incorporated into production. Maybe...just conjecture...Colt had those labels printed up to put on the initial e-nickel guns to set the boxes apart for inventory purposes or for distributors.

Just a SWAG...Scientific Wild-A$$ed Guess.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never seen that before................Sparta, maybe?

Tom
Highly skeptical from Sparta. That guy reproduces known items so he can sell and defraud people. Nobody seems to know anything about the origins of this sticker so your speculation makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Highly skeptical from Sparta. That guy reproduces known items so he can sell and defraud people. Nobody seems to know anything about the origins of this sticker so your speculation makes no sense to me.
Exactly. Said vendor can be very "creative", but it would make absolutely no sense faking something that nobody even knows exists. I'm 100% sure that it was on the box at the time the gun was sold, so the question is who applied it. It would be very easy to make labels like that with modern scanners, labels and printers, but they were probably not very common back then. Somebody must have gone through the trouble of having them designed and printed, so I'd rule out any outfit other than Colt or a large distributor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts