Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to acquire this AR. I picked it up because it was too good to pass up, but it wasnt something I planned on keeping. Looking for more info on it for when I plan to move it along or if its something I should just keep. Any info and general pricing is appreciated. Thanks All!

AR-15 A2
HBAR SPORTER
SER SP 2354**

Attachments

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Assuming it's original it's an early HBAR manufactured before Colt started milling off the highly dangerous bayonet lug. Barrel should be marked CMP 5.56 1/7". You don't show the right side but the area next to the magazine release button is probably flat with no raised areas around the button ( slabside). Late 80's to very early 90's gun that is an excellent shooter with heavier bullets in the 62-75 grain range.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
I agree with the comment about the "dangerous" bayonet lug. I remember a Washington Post editorial about such things as bayonet lugs, grenade launcher attachments and other pieces being "ugly" and dangerous. They actually printed a letter from me saying I was remiss in keeping up with the news as I must have missed their news stories on bayonet charges in the street and rifle grenades flying overhead. There was never a response to my letter to the editor.

It was just more evidence they were clueless on the subject of firearms...and they haven't smartened up any in the following twenty-five years or so since.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

Your new rifle is a Colt model R6600 with the lower receiver marked "AR-15A2 HBAR SPORTER" they were manufactured from 1986 up to 1991 which they were replaced with model R6601 marked "Sporter Match HBAR" almost the same configuration except the replacement have no bayonet lug and most have the steel sear block on the lower receiver above the selector.

I used to have one just like yours which I bought new in 1986, I just practiced with it for about 600 rounds then I took it on my first DCM rifle competition (now called CMP) to qualify so I could buy a DCM US Army surplus M1 Garand.

The lower receiver of the A2 HBAR Sporter rifle doesn't have the undesirable steel sear block yet, it still have a bayonet lug, it got a large oversized offset pivot pin, small diameter mil-spec hammer and trigger pins, and the bolt carrier are semi-auto type same as the late version SP1 AR-15 Sporter model R6000 rifle (which I also had from 1971 up to 1984).

Of all the Colt HBAR models this model was my favorite, externally it looks just like the M-16A2 US Army issue rifle of the 1980s and 1990s, during my first DCM competition in '86 I was the only one with an A2 type AR rifle of my batch of 100 shooters, and I did pretty good with it and was surprised I was the 20th place shooter out of about 400 contestants that particular weekend.

I worn out my barrel in the early 2000 and I replaced it with a match stainless Douglas DCM type barrel but by 2001 I had not been too active competing so I sold it that year, since my rifle was a pre-ban during the ban, I got good profit money from it.

The factory made a lot of these rifles from '86 up to '91 so in my opinion they're not collectible but they should be good shooters.

Reactions: Coltsformysons
1 - 6 of 6 Posts