Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a NIB HBAR Elite Mod CR6724 at local gun show. $1k. Nice feeling trigger and I wanted a varmint semi. Colt is not very chatty about the gun on their web site. Yes they give standard type specs but don't say anything about the trigger, etc. Anyone have additional info or comments after using one for a while? I probably won't have a chance to shoot it until next weekend. Thinking about putting a MagPul PRS stock on it too. I have the PRS on my AR-10T and love it. Have to grab a Harris bipod for it this week too. Anyone like a particular length for the bipods? I prefer bench shooting rather than prone (getting old I guess).
Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked one up from gunbroker and love shooting it. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4x12 on it for coyote hunting. I was afraid that it would be to heavy between stands but it is so well balanced, it helps make up the weight difference compared to my 6940. The only thing that I am going to change is the trigger. Going to put in a Geisselle match trigger in it. I have a target stock on it that came with the rifle and I really like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just found out something real interesting about the HBAR. I called Colt this morning to get the age of another gun and this HBAR. It was sold as NIB, it had absolutely no wear anywhere on the gun and was clean as a whistle. It was made in 1996. Makes one wonder where's its been hiding all this time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_0456.jpg Magpul PRS stock and NcStar bipod arrived today. Hopefully the weather will allow some testing over the weekend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some various factory loaded 55 grain ammo. I've been seeing in some Forums the HBAR likes heavier bullets. Lots of positive comments on 69 grain SMK hand loads. Well, got out of reloading years ago so I'm going searching for some factory stuff in that range and quality later today. Local gun show this weekend may have some too. I see the Black Hills offers their 69gr SMK in mollly too. I only feed my AR-10T their 168gr match moly so I may try to find some of their molly .223 to shoot first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Testing will have to wait for next weekend, or so. I called the Germantown, WI Gander Mountain Gun Store yesterday afternoon to check on availability of some Black Hills, 69 grain, .223 Match Grade, SMK, Moly coated ammunition. The person I spoke with was named Eric and he advised me he had the item in stock. Because I wanted to use some today, 4/21/12, I drove about 60 miles to the store to purchase some. Regrettably I was advised the store did not have any in stock and it was a misunderstanding by the employee. Based on the information from the employee I wasted about 120 miles, five+ gallons of gas and a good part of this morning. Yes, I’m very disappointed in Gander Mountain. I'll order some online (from someone other than Gander) and give it a try as soon as the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Testing will have to wait for next weekend, or so. I called the Germantown, WI Gander Mountain Gun Store yesterday afternoon to check on availability of some Black Hills, 69 grain, .223 Match Grade, SMK, Moly coated ammunition. The person I spoke with was named Eric and he advised me he had the item in stock. Because I wanted to use some today, 4/21/12, I drove about 60 miles to the store to purchase some. Regrettably I was advised the store did not have any in stock and it was a misunderstanding by the employee. Based on the information from the employee I wasted about 120 miles, five+ gallons of gas and a good part of this morning. Yes, I’m very disappointed in Gander Mountain. I'll order some online (from someone other than Gander) and give it a try as soon as the weather cooperates.
This happens a lot at other stores as well, clerks just to lazy to go look or they just give you an answer without even knowing. I have had this happen more than a few times. I have found it sometimes helps if you start by saying "Hello this is Bob who am I speaking with ?" Generally they give you their right name and if the information they give you is wrong, you have a name to ask for when you get to the store. Also you have a name to give to the store manager and report his obviously not caring attitude toward customers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the HBAR out on the range today. I received the 69gr BH Moly SMK and had three other brands at hand. I had a fourth but neglected to grab it on the way to the range.
The HBAR pretty much likes everything. This is the first time the gun has been fired. I mounted a Nikon 4-12 x40 VO on it for now. More power when I can afford it.
Black Hills: 1-5/8" max, 3/4" smallest group.
Winchester (don't know more about it) 55gr.: 1-3/4 max 5/8" smallest group.
DRT Frangible 55gr.: 1-3/4" max, 3/4" smallest group.
Norinco 55gr: 1-7/8" max, 1" smallest group.
I loaded one round in the mag and allowed the bolt to load each round. I swabbed the barrel between rounds. The Norinco was last and I noticed the barrel was wraming but it didn't do too poorly.
I hope to improve as I get used to the rifle, scope and ammo.
So far I have to say I really like the gun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got the HBAR out on the range today. I received the 69gr BH Moly SMK and had three other brands at hand. I had a fourth but neglected to grab it on the way to the range.
The HBAR pretty much likes everything. This is the first time the gun has been fired. I mounted a Nikon 4-12 x40 VO on it for now. More power when I can afford it.
Black Hills: 1-5/8" max, 3/4" smallest group.
Winchester (don't know more about it) 55gr.: 1-3/4 max 5/8" smallest group.
DRT Frangible 55gr.: 1-3/4" max, 3/4" smallest group.
Norinco 55gr: 1-7/8" max, 1" smallest group.
I loaded one round in the mag and allowed the bolt to load each round. I swabbed the barrel between rounds. The Norinco was last and I noticed the barrel was wraming but it didn't do too poorly.
I hope to improve as I get used to the rifle, scope and ammo.
So far I have to say I really like the gun.
Do you know the weight of your hbar, does the rifle seem to be a little barrel heavy ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rebs: I didn't weigh her yet. It's the older HBAR and has the 24" barrel; which I like. She'll seem a little front heavy with the bipod too but I won't be humping it through the boonies; my XM177 is for that.
All of todays' shooting was at 100 yards. I have to head to a public range for longer distances.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A buddy asked a good question. I had measured the OD of the bullet holes for patterns. He wondered if I should measure the centers to be more correct. Which is correct?
I'll try to borrow a trigger pull scale soon too. I like the trigger. It has a very short take up in the first stage and a predictable point for the let off that's not too heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts