Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Commando with a 2" barrel. 10 days left on the auction and already it has 29 bids. No reserve. It's not perfect but it's a good place to start for a beginning collector. I already have one so I'm going to pass.

Commando

The reserve on this gun is a insane $1500

Mint Commando

I am looking for one with a 6" barrel. Someday I'll have one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've purchased from "jackthedog" at AuctionArms and he's really great. Always "no reserve" and lots of photos. Just an excellent person to deal with.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Take note of what these 2 honest and knowing sellers say about the bbl. replacement,and how Pate's book is quoted.

Bud

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good eye LW. You know your sh!t.

I still believe $1500 is over priced. How many Commandos do you think were manufactured as an original 2"?

Consider that there were 50,000 Commandos built and only 2500 Marshals. The $1500 Commando is bringing Marshal prices. IMO, the Commando is over priced X 2.

BTW: Mine is rebarreled but I didn't give much for it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
And 2" O.P.s? Wife won't give me the one I looked for, for 10 years back from her carry gun!

Addicted,was it you that was looking for a 6" Commando? Charles Pate,in his great book,U.S.Handguns of World War Two,secondary pistols and revolvers,states they were made only in 2" and 4". What the confusion is that Colt was still supplying O.Polices in 4,5,and 6 inch bbls. to the DSC(Defense Supplies Corp.) that supplied guns to plant guards,security & police depts. during the war. The DSC bitched aboy the high price,about $29!,so the "no frills" Commando was born at $25!

I have a 6" O.Police "Heavy Barrel",that is virtually mint,having spent most of its life owned by an executive of a petroleum tank farm/dock. He was isssued this in 1943;no proofs etc. I have seen several O.Polices that were parkerized,can't say if they were "factory",or later.

Bud

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
A $1500 2-inch Commando has been up for months on GunBroker, never reaching its reserve, but once going to $1200 and once to $1400. It just sold for $1500. The buyer took it to $1400 before and apparently decided it was worth another $100 to get a desired piece. What is a mere $100 when one wants something? I know that philosophy has kept me gun-poor for decades! (Where were these bidders when another 2-inch in equal condition sold for about $900 a few months before?)

How many 2-inch Commandos? Who knows? I estimate not more than 10%, which would mean 5000, which is fairly rare by most standards. The TBOCF says the 6-inch Commando is RARE, which I believe, having never seen one in forty years of Colt collecting. I suspect they do exist, but, until one shows up lettered, who knows?

How many 2-inch Marshals? Who knows? Again, I estimate from 10% to 20% of the 2500 total, which would mean from 250 to 500 guns. RARE by my standards. Even 2500 is rare by my standards!

BW, does your Marshal have the "M" suffix? Mine does not and letters as a 2-inch Marshal. I have seen four Marshals without the "M" suffix.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Judge: No "M"; as far as that goes I have never seen one with an "M". I don't know where Wilson got that information - it doesn't jibe with what I've seen. Maybe someone on the board has seen an "M" suffix.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Marshal does not have a M.

Joe Salter has (or had) one with a M. It's the only one I've seen this way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Take note of what these 2 honest and knowing sellers say about the bbl. replacement,and how Pate's book is quoted.

Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

so are you thinking this might be a rebarreled weapon?

not as if I was going to buy it just asking

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Salters Marshal doesn't have a M either. I did see one but now I forget where.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's correct. Take a look at the front sight. The half moon sight is not a rebarrel and sells for 3 X more than a rebarrel.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
There was a discussion of the "M" suffix issue a while back. When I lettered my 2-inch Marshal, I specifically asked Ms. Hoyt to address the "M" suffix issue, relating that every Marshal I had ever seen did NOT have the "M" suffix. All she said in my letter is that Colt records have the "M" suffix. I have been going to try again, but have not.

I now believe that the guns (maybe with a few exceptions) do NOT have the "M" suffix, but that Colt serial number records have an "M" suffix to more easily distinguish the Marshal revolvers from the Official Police revolvers serial numbered in the same range. I have two Marshal boxes, one 2-inch and one 4-inch. One (I cannot remember which one) does not have the "M" suffix with the serial number written on the bottom of the box, while the other does, which adds to the confusion.

The 98% 4-inch Marshal of Lyle Larkworthy's that just sold on GB for $890 had no "M" suffix. It is serial number 814269.

Does ANYONE have a Marshal with an "M" suffix?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts