Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my former students showed me a gun that she'd inherited from her grandad recently. 6" bbl. O.Police made circa 1948-50.(can't recall the correct serial #,but it is in that period) Had the dual tone blue and plastic "Coltwood" stocks that are correct for this era gun-BUT the bbl. is NOT marked "Heavy Barrel" as is a 1943 6" O.Police that I have.

I have a 4 and 5 inch O.Police from about 1952,and they have straight barrels. A 1934 O.Police that also is in my collection,has a regular barrel.

Checked some Colt catalogs from the 1948-52 era,and no mention of 6" Heavy barrel being "an option". Barrel is identical in every way,but the lack of the "Heavy Barrel" marking to my 1943 gun.

Just wondering if anyone has seen one before,and I can't even recall ssing too many post war O.Polices with 6" bbls. period,yet I know they made some. (Good rule of thumb for both the Colt O.P. and S&W M&P is that pre wars were more popular in 6",less so in 4",and vice versa for the postwars): 5 inchers are "scarcer" in either era.

So if anyone knows if this was "an unlisted" option(like my 1943 gun) for the earlier post wars,or a "parts clean up",please let me know,as well as anyone having a postwar O.P. with a regular weight thin barrel. BTW; No police etc. markings on the gun. Former student,now in her 30's, is using it for a "truck" gun(with a steering column
holster and 38/44 level handloads(158 cast hps.) made up by her former "favorite teacher"(now we just gotta work on her accuracy!).

Thanks for any info.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
Re: Heavy Barrel Official Police(postwar)

I had one.

It was a used gun given to me by some friends when I graduated from Watchmaker's school.

It was a 6" heavy barreled Official Police, reddish plastic "Coltwood" grips, and Maltese crosses at each end of the barrel stamping.

It was not marked as a heavy barrel, just the Maltese crosses.

Serial was 736039 and it booked as being made in 1947.
It still had an all-polished finish except for the top strap.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks dfariswheel. Sounds like your heavy barrel was a "transition piece",with the polished finish before the dual tone. Do you recall if it had the checkered cylinder release and the 2 piece crane retention screw??

Anyway,this gun is a couple of years later.

Would love to hear from someone who has a regular "thin" postwar 6" bbl. I have a postwar thin bbl.,but it is a .22!

Thought she might have a relatively rare gun,that she using.Finish is far from perfect,but the action is velvet smooth and timing is perfect.

Thanks again,

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts

It had the two piece cylinder retention, a smooth cylinder release, the post-war ramped and grooved front sight, and a pre-war style checkered hammer.

I read SOMETHING years ago about the Maltese cross barrel stamps, but I can't remember what it was.
Target barrel ??????

·
Registered
794 Posts

Hi Bud. I have an early post war OP in 38 Spec with 6" barrel. It is not marked heavy barrel nor does it have the dimensions of a heavy barrel. It came with the correct Coltwood stocks. The cylinder release is not checkered. My front site is ramped and grooved. The trigger is checkered as is the hammer. It does have the 2 piece crane retention screws.

It (mine) seems pretty vanilla to me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

WS23; Thanks for the info. Your gun is a perfect example of this "transition period" at Colt,having both pre war and post war "features".

S&W guys(and I am one too!!) pay a premium for these transition models in the 1946-48 time frame,with the "cleaning up" of pre war parts,with newer production parts/engineering changes.

Just a facet of bothe makes that I personally find interesting.

Bud

·
Registered
907 Posts
Lonewolf - the only OP's I have seen with "Heavy Barrel" markings were pre-war. The two early post-war OP's I have are .38/4" and .22/6" so that doesn't help you.

I do sort of wonder if after the "parts clean up" guns were all out the door (around 1950-51) Colt did a little experimenting with heavy barrels again just prior to the Border Patrol being issued. The Officer's Model Special would certainly qualify. It would have been easy enough to make up a heavy OP using an OMS barrel with the OP rollmark. Like you suggested, someone needs to write "The Book".

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well. you all know I am cursed with remembering old threads and this one came to mind when I acquired this particular 1955 vintage revolver. It was one of two or three reasons for buying it, the first of course being that I "needed" it. The second was the heavy barrel although not so marked and otherwise totally post war. The third was the period target stocks. I am not sure the stocks were factory applied because the rear sideplate screw was a round head (since replaced with flat although I could be accused of alteration /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ). Just in case it's at all interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, quick pics without much regard to lighting and perhaps you can tell I was wearing an orange shirt - that is not rust. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've examined quite a few of the 6-inch heavy barrel Official Police revolvers at local gun shows with the thought of eventually adding one to the collection. I imagine they'd be sweet shooters on the range.

I've wondered what sort of buyer most often purchased this variation. Was it popular with some lawmen? That's a big hunk of steel hanging out in front of the frame.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
were any of these OP`s of this era have a parkerized finish?(beside the commando)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not any regular offerings that I recall being mentioned anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
600 Posts

Hi Bud:

I have a blue .38 Special OP serialed 683971 with the 6" Heavy Barrel and it is so marked. I have not checked the books but I think that places it in the 1943 range according to the notes I have on the gun here.

Charlie Flick

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Just to keep some of this OP stuff together, here is a recently acquired vintage 1943 OP Heavy Barrel, probably like Bud's. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts

Man I do like revolvers with adjustable sights, but you guys are making me hungry with those beautiful OP's.

·
Registered
391 Posts

My 1955 post-war OP looks just like A1A's. It is serial #824xxx, a former NJ state police gun. I had no idea it is considered a heavy barrel! It is, as bmcgilvray guessed, a powder puff at the range. Heavy +P .38s feel like .22s in that heavy 6" barrel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts