Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Usually take a break from work at lunchtimish and headed to Reds. They just got it a mint stainless Python with 8" barrel. No box or paperwork.

Very comfortable feel and great trigger. I was amazed. Made in 1981. Red sold it to original owner and he sold it back to Red this weekend with only 200 rounds down the pipe is what I was told.

$2999.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Don't believe they made a 8" SS Python in 1981. Looks like maybe E-Nickel to me...

Reactions: d.a.r.y.l

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
That's e-nickel...stainless has a different caste to it. E-nickel rules as far as I'm concerned...I like it better than stainless. Nothing beats a beautiful Royal Blue finish but for all-around use...e-nickel is where it's at.

Reactions: dkay62

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Looks like electroless nickel. That's also a portion of K serial range where you see a lot of Royal Coltguard also.
So did you buy it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you educate me on this?

Thanks! Manny
Stainless Pythons have a serrated cylinder release. Look at pictures of a real Stainless model and you will see what I am talking about. They also have a S stamped in the cylinder ejector cutout to signify Stainless. There's also a S stamped under the star where the shells get ejected at. Those are the easy tells that its a stainless gun. Also year made is a dead give away. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. The search feature is a great tool for researching information.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
8" pythons were marketed to hunters and silhouette shooters. They were not made in high numbers, are muzzle heavy and a big gun. I shoot with a buddy that has a scoped 8 3/8" 686 and if he brings that to the range I bring my 8" scoped python hunter. That might be once a year. A 6" python feels so much better. I simply say this because if this is your first python, you may want to think twice about that 8" barrel.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nice looking E-nickel. Price would be acceptable if finish is still in excellent condition. I have owned more than one blue and nickel Python with the serrated cylinder release so it's not just stainless. D*

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the info. I am learning thru here a lot.

No I did not buy it. The finish is in excellent condition.

If anybody needs more info or more pics, let me know. I live 5 minutes from Reds.

Thanks! Manny

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Nickel front sight pins = nickel finish (bright or e-nickel)

Reactions: d.a.r.y.l
1 - 19 of 19 Posts