Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I just purchased my first gun, A series 70 Colt Commander 9mm luger and am desperately trying to find all information possible on the sweet thing. All I know is... 9mm colt commander (NOT combat commander,,,, does NOT say LW on side of pistol or on Serial number.... I would be incredibly appreciative of any information anyone can give me on this pistol. it should arrive 1/4/15. Beyond excited.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
After the first of the year I would ask Colt Historical for a letter to confirm what you have.

Post Script..Most of what I have seen for that serial number has been arched main spring housing and Model referred to has "Combat Commander". Though it is possible that your slide was roll marked liked others and it's also possible that it's a Parts Marriage gun. You really need to confirm original configuration.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Looks to be a regular "70" series Commander. If I remember correctly, Colt dropped the "LW" when this series was introduced. The Commanders were made in .45 ACP, 38 Super, 9mm and some other chamberings in small quantities. This Colt should weigh about 27 ounces. I had trouble seeing the small sights on my Commander so I had them replaced with a more visible set. Great shooting pistol! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I tried to look up your serial # on coltsmfg.com and it came back, no records found. typical. That's a nice commander in 9mm. I do not believe the grips are original.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Nice Commander, most likely a 1970-1971. The grips are wrong as is the mainspring housing. Markings appear soft but that could just be the pics. Nice shooter

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think the OP's pistol has a steel frame. The finish matches and the lightweight frames will show a contrast when the slide is blue and frame is anodized aluminum alloy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree that only a Colt letter will tell you the pistol's original configuration. The letters "BS" would indicate a blue steel frame Combat Commander with an approximate manufacture date of 1970. Since Colt used the name "Combat Commander" to differentiate between the steel frame pistol and the lightweight "Commander" alloy frame pistol, either the pistol had the wrong rollmark or has had the slide replaced. Mistakes in rollmarks are known to happen.

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
I can't find it now, but seems like I read that the first few all steel Commanders were not marked Combat Commander. The serial numbers for the steel Commanders started at 70BS1001, so the OP's pistol would be the 293rd steel Commander made.

I also agree that it has been refinished.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is 1970 Colt Combat commander All steel frame (not coltalloy) the word (Combat) was dropped off the slide like all Colt Combat Commanders in 1970. Thank you all for the information and input! I want to put the original grips on, Could anyone send me a link to the original grips?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, Johny P is correct 100% in his post.

Called the last owner, it is 1970 combat commander all steel blued frame. Has not been refinished? What would estimated market value, be? 95% condition.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That looks like a refinish to me.

Compare the photo of the satin nickel CC in post #11 to yours. Look at where the slide overhangs the Colt Manufacturer marks on the frame. The pistol in #11 shows a very sharp edge on the slide - now compare directly with your pic of the same area...also look at the finger cutouts in the frame. Same thing. All the edges on your gun are soft indicating its been buffed and that means its probably been refinished.

I had the same pistol in post #11 but in .38 Super and it brought $1500 earlier this year @ 95% but without box and/or papers.

The pistol you posted is far from 95% and its missing the correct grips and MSH. In .45 that's an $800 shooter, in .38 Super or 9mm I think maybe $900 given the caliber.

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
First of all, the subject pistol cannot be a "Series 70," nor can any Commander or Combat Commander. The collet bushing is what makes a Model O a "Series 70." The Commander and Combat Commander have never had a collet bushing so cannot be "Series 70" pistols. Notice that there is no "Series 70" marking on any Commander or Combat Commander, unlike a Series 70 Government Model or Gold Cup that is marked "Mark IV/ Series '70" on the slide.

The always unreliable "Blue Book" makes the improper reference to "Series 70" and "Pre-Series 70" Commanders, which undoubtedly is a factor that has caused some to use this incorrect reference. (If there is no such thing as a "Series 70" Commander or Combat Commander, then there can be no such thing as a "Pre-Series 70" Commander or Combat Commander either.) Perhaps the "Blue Book" error was generated when Colt put a "70" prefix in the serial numbers of Commanders and Combat Commanders for a while. The serial number prefix is a mere coincidence and has nothing to do with the characteristic that makes a Model O pistol a "Series 70," the collet bushing.

The frame has a serial number of the style found on a Combat Commander. I agree with EXFI that the frame appears to be steel. I suspect the slide has been replaced, or a Commander slide was installed by mistake at the factory.

I agree with Mr. Williams that the pistol is likely refinished. If the OP just wanted a shooter, it will serve fine for that. If the OP wanted an original, correct Colt Commander, the subject gun is not that in several respects.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
As already pointed out it will require more than grips, the mainspring housing and finish. It is a nice shooter, enjoy it for what it is. It has been pointed out kindly to you in many posts.
It is 1970 Colt Combat commander All steel frame (not coltalloy) the word (Combat) was dropped off the slide like all Colt Combat Commanders in 1970. Thank you all for the information and input! I want to put the original grips on, Could anyone send me a link to the original grips?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts