Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is probably the worst screen name to have in this forum but I like keeping the same OSN for all the forums I participate in (because it helps me remember).

I am after all, a Colt guy of sorts. I had two (AR and Enh Gov Mdl 1911). Last night I added a third horse. I convinced my friend that he is not a revolver guy and therefore should part with his Detective Special. It's 856xxx. I think it's a mid 90s manufacture just like my other two Colts. I am fairly sure I got it for a good price ($250 and the gun lived in a safe). I guess my only question to the Colt folks here is am I correct with the manufacturing period? I understand that the mid 90s were difficult times for Colt but judging from my experience with my Guv'mint model and my Clintonized AR I think quality did not suffer as bad as some people (probably those evil Smith folks huh?) say.

Thank you for your inputs

------------------

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First question, does the gun have an shrouded ejector rod? If not, the six digit serial number you listed dates to 1964, not the 1990's as you suspected Let us know more. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-11-2003).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it has a shrouded ejector rod. Also has black rubber grips with the little scallop along the lower front edge and silver medallions. It also came in a blue plastic box with dual locking tabs. The molded cutout for the gun is oversized. Presumably to accept other D frames of longer barrel lengths.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SnWnMe (edited 09-11-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
SnWnMe
After 1969 they went to prefix letters D,C,B,F,M, etc. and the latest published serial numbers only go up to 1985, so after that I am afraid I can't be of much help.
It must be 90's gun as you suspected and unless they have changed their tune, the last time I call Colt they gave me the song and dance about a $100 letter if you want to know when the gun was made. Maybe one of the other guys has some later serialization that I dont have.
God Luck Dick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I can't date it, but agree with Dick as It sounds like a new model with your desription. The one thing I can say is that you stole that revolver. You owe your friend a kiss on the cheek for that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts