Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum today because I've recently decided to purchase a Colt Cobra in 38 Special and not having been a wheel guy I can use all the friendly advice available. Before I retired my carry was an H&K P7, a slim IWB tack driver by most folks standards but today that gun is too large for me. Now, I prefer something that fits a front pants pocket so about a year ago I got a nice mini version of the 1911 in 380 that fits a jeans pocket very nicely. But a few months back while at the range with a grandson it hiccuped and I lost confidence with it. This was the first and only issue in many rounds fired with the Sig but I had zero FTF or FTE with the P7 in twenty years, so I'm spoiled. On grandson's suggestion of "get a revolver", I got a Ruger LCR that I really enjoy. I'd like to improve on it by adding a sixth round - hence the Cobra. I realize that +P ammo is not recommended in the light weight D Frame but with the good stuff available today, not a big deal for me. Anyway, there is a gun show next weekend that I plan to attend. Does it sound like I made a good choice with the Cobra selection? If not, any recommendations? If so, what should I look for in a Cobra that will be used for daily carry? Best Regards, Rhead

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
First just before I make this comment I want you to know I'm a die hard Colt fan. With that in mind, what I'm going to say now may be of shock. KEEP CARRYING YOUR P7. I'm also a die hard H&K fan and frankly you can't replace a P7 with anything out there period. I prefer the P7PSP model due to the bottom mag release doesn't engage easy when carried. I love Colts and always will but when my life is on the hook I'll keep with my P7. Not to take anything away from any other firearm out there. The size and width of the P7 can't be matched. A revolver is much more bulk than any auto pistol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, well said and I agree, the P7 (my most honored possession) can't be replaced by anything unless you can't use it. Issue is that my life style has radically changed - live in hot climate, rarely wear anything but shorts or jeans with a tee shirt or no shirt, involved in activities where IWB carry gets seriously in the way etc. I'm also a smaller guy so when the P7 that I can't fit in my pocket (albeit thin) weighs twice as much as the LCR that does fit, I have a personal problem. It's like a Wilson A2000 ball glove that retired and sat in the closet until it found it's way to a fresh kid at the park - he'll grow into it where I'd just break a leg trying to run a fly ball down. Anyway, I'm trying to make things work because I'm a bad aim when throwing rocks at perps. I'm learning that small works for concealment but not necessarily for the ultimate purpose. I've tried a lot of the new stuff on the market and dependability (with the pocket ones), in my opinion, is lacking. So, the revolver is dependable and some fit and carry well for me, even an NAA 22Mag at times when nothing else fits. I've heard some really good things about that Cobra and would like some opinions on it for 2013 carry. I've promised my P7 to one of the grand kids when I can't use it anymore.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't quite understand, in my perspective the revolver is a bit more bulk and all in all the same size. I would prefer 9mm over 38 any day since with the right round it can be very effective. But I guess if your sold on having a revolver then a cobra is a great little gun as well. With a little tweaking it can be smooth as a python or even better.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Hi Rhead, welcome to the Colt Forum. Glad you joined us. Since you're wanting a smaller carry piece than the P7 I'd say the Cobra is a top choice. Light and balanced, it also shoots well once you are accustomed to firing it and getting used to its point of impact.

Would also love to see it in pictures here: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/36832-colt-cobra-photo-thread.html

Nice to have you here.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Hello, Rhead, and welcome to the Forum. Ain't it wonderful how much you can learn so quickly here? Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts