Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I grew up hunting and reloading with my father and grandfather who were both avid bird hunters.

There is a long military tradition in my family stretching from me back to The Civil War (Confederacy). I guess we've always been "gun people", but I don't really think of it like that.

I have the vast majority of my family's firearms, and all the pistols and long guns. We've never sold a firearm that I know of, and I have quite a few historic pieces. I've added to the collection over the years (mostly working firearms for hunting).

I only recently became aware of what some of the Colt revolvers and 1911s are worth. I was pretty shocked at some of the values. Shocked and a little concerned to tell you the truth. Some of my favorite revolvers to shoot have gotten much more valuable than I would have believed. I have never been an "investor". I always bought and shot the ones I wanted to use, and just made sure the rest were cleaned and stored property. I don't think 1911s are a problem because of how pervasive and interchangeable they are, but after seeing what antique and discontinued Colt revolvers are selling for I got a little panicky and started hunting for my favorite Colts that I shoot. I'm not as worried about service revolvers (should I be?), because they produced so very many of them, but they look like their value has skyrocketed too.

I recently purchased a mint, 6", SS, NIB Python, still in packing grease for $3K from a dealer, it should arrive this week. I also managed to buy a retired State Trooper's (1 owner), 6", Royal Blue, E series Python for $1.6K (I think the better buy). He bought it new and carried it for seven years on duty. He said it had saved his life on many occasions, and I asked him to write a letter about the pistol and his history with it that I will post here when it arrives. I've bought new Colt revolvers over the counter, so I was floored when I saw what they cost, and just felt like I had to make a move before I got priced out, and it's getting there rapidly.

I don't shoot the service revolvers, but I'm probably going to purchase another Anaconda in near mint condition, but it will be later in the year. What really made my hair stand up were the prices on the Pythons. I'm not sure if I made good deals or not, but it really doesn't matter, because selling one would only be a shade worse than selling a boy. Both will be backup Pythons in case the one I shoot develops indigestion and I have problems repairing it.

In any event, that's my story, and why/how I found this board. I love the history of a fine firearm almost as much as shooting it. I have a few Colts, but I'm not an expert by any means. I own polymer handguns, and they have their uses, but there is nothing like holding Colt steel in your hand. It feels like you are holding a piece of history. I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised how valuable they have become, and I know it's cliché, but they literally don't make them like they used to, because in many cases they don't make them at all!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum from TN.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another welcome from way down Texas way! Enjoy those Colts!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts