Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I Have been a keen shooter since I was 11. But I am in my sixties now and I love my three Colt wheelies, but, the truth is I have many more S&Ws and a couple of Semi-Autos because of price and availability.

I shoot mainly Service Revolver but I also shoot blackpowder revolvers and some rifle matches. I shoot only out at the range now I no longer go hunting.

And I am a slave to the reloading bench.

Thunder

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Welcome aboard the Forum, Thunder. Do we assume correctly that you are from "Down Under" as in Australia?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i am indeed an Aussie.
And

The gun laws seem quite a bit different to the US. Much stricter it appears but it doesnt affect me too much.
In spite of the grumbling you just have to play the game and do the busines as laid down by the Pollies and the Police.

Although few would admit it, the Howard Govenment (who introduced our current stricter gun laws) have pobably done us a favour. By forcing us to get serious about our shooting. I my self was a very casual shooter with a few guns. Now I have many guns and go shooting almost every weekend. The size of my club doubled after the Howard Gov. gun laws were introduced.

We now have large sports shooting organizations who are geared up to lobby Governments, News Groups and other organizations.

All that has happened to us Law-abiding gun owners is that it is now a little inconvenient to by a gun - but certainly not impossible.

I myself and many others believe that The Howard Goverments mis-management of gun laws and attack on law-abiding citizens has created a thriving black market in guns and it is now much easier for criminals to buy a gun.

In 1996 pime minister John Howard spent 1 Billion Dollars of taxpayers money in an attack on law-abiding citizens in a gun buy-back and not 1 cent of it went towards actual reduction of criminal activity.

And the result, shooting clubs have doubled in size and it is easier than ever for crims to buy guns.

Thunder

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gday mate, welcome from another Aussie. Sounds as if we are of the same generation I am in my sixties. Have a number of Colt revolvers, all prewar manufacture apart from my Python (1973) and Single action Army 45 3rd gen.Saving some money to buy a 1st gen 1906 Bisley in 38/40 at present. Enjoy the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here about all Colts and other firearms. I browse here regularly picking up knowledge and useful information.Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
G'day mate, ya carnt keep these ruddy Aussie blokes outa anywhere. Gotta be an Adelaidian thing. Me, I'm from Kidman Park. Have always loved the stink of BP, having shot them at the SRBLC. keep your powder dry. Cheers

·
Premium Member
19,601 Posts
Thunder, it sounds like your anti-gun politicians and ours follow the same 'book.' Your update on how the gun laws have changed the country's ways of doing business were/are very interesting to me. Bottom line seems that the buy-back and law changes did not revolutionize Australia.
I would like to see Chuck Schumer and Diane Finestein (two of US's most anti-gunners) visit Australia and get an up-date.
Welcome to The Forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts