Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my very first Colt SAA (NIB Bat Masterson Model) back in August and just paid for my 6th today. After the Bat Masterson Model I continued with the Lawmen Series and got the Wild Bill Hickok Model, also NIB. Next was a NIB 1998 4.75" barrel, bright nickel with fire blued screws and factory ivory grips, after a very lightly used 1991 Custom Shop Royal Blued with Walnut stocks, tuned for Cowboy Action shooting. Then I picked up a NIB Colt Cowboy (I know, I know) 10" barrel, bright nickel with fire blued small parts and Buffalo Horn grips. Today I bought a Colt SAA 4.75" barrel, Bright nickel, Factory A level engraved, Bird Head grip with smooth ivory stocks. I'm looking at a couple of other SAA's right now.... :bang_wall:
Thank God I'm not married, I'd be getting divorced.:p

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I bought my very first Colt SAA (NIB Bat Masterson Model) back in August and just paid for my 6th today. After the Bat Masterson Model I continued with the Lawmen Series and got the Wild Bill Hickok Model, also NIB. Next was a NIB 1998 4.75" barrel, bright nickel with fire blued screws and factory ivory grips, after a very lightly used 1991 Custom Shop Royal Blued with Walnut stocks, tuned for Cowboy Action shooting. Then I picked up a NIB Colt Cowboy (I know, I know) 10" barrel, bright nickel with fire blued small parts and Buffalo Horn grips. Today I bought a Colt SAA 4.75" barrel, Bright nickel, Factory A level engraved, Bird Head grip with smooth ivory stocks. I'm looking at a couple of other SAA's right now.... :bang_wall:
Thank God I'm not married, I'd be getting divorced.:p
Hmm...you wouldn't happen to be a rather talented guitar player, in addition to your Colt addiction, would you? :confused:

nowinca

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you the Mark Knopfler?? Welcome to the forum

I watched that Cowboy auction. Was going to start a thread on that gun due to its rarity.
I'm not THE Mark Knopfler, just a real big fan. I wasn't aware of the whole Colt Cowboy vs SAA thing when I bought that 10" one, I just looked at the pics and drooled. Didn't figure I'd get any addiction help here, just some kindred spirits.
I'm gonna work on taking and posting some pics of the herd. Been looking at some of the pic threads on here and WOW, makes me love Colts even more.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Setting Your Collection Goals

It sounds like you have been building a nice collection. Your goal should be realistic, like being able to hold the correct Colt SAA as you watch your favorite western movies and TV shows. Be aware that your addiction might lead to an uncontrollable need to collect other western firearms like Winchester rifles. :)

Regards,
Rusty Edwards

Historical Firearms Collection
Historical Firearms Swords Sabers Bayonets Guns

Colt SAA Serial Number Directory
http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Your addiction WILL defineltly lead you into other Old West firearms as "Ruster" stated above. In addition to the Winchester rifles, you will begin looking at the Old West S&W Model 3 revolvers, the Remington Revolvers, the Merwin & Hulbert revolvers, and a few more not well know revolvers that did exist in the Old West. It will be come a never ending search............

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your addiction WILL defineltly lead you into other Old West firearms as "Ruster" stated above. In addition to the Winchester rifles, you will begin looking at the Old West S&W Model 3 revolvers, the Remington Revolvers, the Merwin & Hulbert revolvers, and a few more not well know revolvers that did exist in the Old West. It will be come a never ending search............
You guys are definitely correct on the SAA being "gateway guns". :D I already picked up a gorgeous Turnbull Winchester 1892, and am now wanting a model 1873 as well....
This started many years ago with Colt 1911 pistols, just loved them !! Thought nothing could be cooler or better than John Browning's classic design, I was wrong. Still love my 1911's and my M1 Garands, etc. Maybe it was the series Deadwood that started me into collecting these classic western firearms, or just remembering being a kid with my dual western holster and SAA cap guns. I ordered a western dual holster and belt set up as well from a nice gentleman out here in Colorado that makes custom sets, Terry from Western Images Leatherworks. Now it's time to look into this cowboy action shooting I've been reading about....
Thanks for all the responses guys !!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the forum. Nice herd you are gathering!

Historical sets of rifle and pistol are a must as you've already discovered.

and the "pairs" of course :)

and then there are the hats. On can never own too many hats :)

Wow, what a collection !! Thank you for posting those pics. Can't believe how awesome the old west style is. I do have one hat. lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We will look forward to seeing pictures of all those guns when you can get them posted!!
Been trying to get them posted, it's not easy on this forum for some reason. And yet again it doesn't work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
My brother left his stainless steel .44 cal Automag in its foam/black egg crate-lined case for about 10 years. The foam deteriorated and pitted the entire surface of the pistol, requiring him to send it off for a deep buffing. Perhaps newer materials are safer but...
Chaz

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you Yahoody for working your picture magic for me. Chaz, thanks for the heads up - though I already wrap them up in "wipe down" cloths before putting them back into the cases so the foam doesn't touch them. Dogface6, thank you for the link. My plans are to eventually be running the cowboy action here in Colorado.
Colt Cowboy Buntline
IMG_9510.PNG

SAA Bird Head with Factory smooth Ivory and Level A engraving
IMG_9542.PNG

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts