Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This beauty is at my LGS and would like to know more about it and what is a good price. Stamped Colt .357 Magnum. Has wide hammer. Bluing is very good.
Any info appreciated as to date of manufacture, value. Thanks for a great forum!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Costa
Welcome to the forum.
You have a very nice Colt in a good caliber.
I'm not sure of value, but they aren't being made any longer. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
That is the .357 magnum model isnt it? They look almost just like the trooper. I cant read your barrel lettering to see the differance. The trooper has a two tone blue, and a different fireing pin. The magnum is worth more. Yours looks very nice but is hurt big time with that notch busted out of the grip. If it werent for that it would be worth maybe $850s or more. As is, maybe $550s? I am no expert. You probley will get a more favorable answer. By the way I was raised around berlin.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I agree with feralmerril; absolutely beautiful 3 5 7 except for the stock's notch. Those stocks were some of Colt's best work, ever. Someone may have tried to facilitate a speed loader or compensate for when the cylinder was open. Other than that it is a pristine gun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is the .357 magnum model isnt it? They look almost just like the trooper. I cant read your barrel lettering to see the differance. The trooper has a two tone blue, and a different fireing pin. The magnum is worth more. Yours looks very nice but is hurt big time with that notch busted out of the grip. If it werent for that it would be worth maybe $850s or more. As is, maybe $550s? I am no expert. You probley will get a more favorable answer. By the way I was raised around berlin.
Yep, the v-cut ruins it a bit but the grips are in excellent shape. Probably for a speedloader. Know where I can get original replacement grips?
Here is a close-up of the barrel

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Well this doesnt do either of us good now, but about two years ago I seen a 6" like it that was reblued, but a fine reblue, in a pawn shop here. They were asking $500s and it had the same grips yours do but were pristine. There are a lot of different style grips that will fit it. I would buy some faux ivory like I have on the python thread below. They run about a hundred bucks. If interested I will try to find the outfits e-mail I bought them from. Found it! I would try to buy the gun and get these grips for it.
Colt Bonded Ivory Grips

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<br>Yep, the v-cut ruins it a bit but the grips are in excellent shape. Probably for a speedloader. Know where I can get original replacement grips?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum from TN.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
That is the python before the python came out. For that money I would buy it and put on those faux ivory. The dealer that I posted wasnt even aware those grips fit many other colt models untill I told him. Actualy I think I ordered the finger grip model and he sent the ones shown. They fit perfect and I just kept them. Get those grips WITH the extra price for medellions and you will have a beautifull fine shooter as ever was made for $550 bucks or so. A great way to go!

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Colt grips are now themselves collectible and people are beating the bushes looking for original factory grips to restore guns back to original condition.

Unfortunately, THE most expensive Colt Target grips are these fully checkered First Type Target grips.
Shockingly, a set of good First Type grips will cost you almost as much as the $450 price of the gun.

Colt Target grips of all Types are so valuable now, people selling Colt's often switch the original grips for some sort of after market grip and sell the original set for significant money, earning more money then with the grips on the gun.

You may be able to find a set for less money, but they're getting harder and harder to find in decent condition.
For your 357 Model, you need grips with Silver medallions. Gold was used ONLY on the Python.

Given the pictures, I'd say the gun is a real buy, and is a less common Colt.
Colt only made around 15,000 357 Models from 1954 to 1961 when the model was discontinued.
The 357 Model was a premium model, bettered only by the Super premium Python.
Since the Python was basically just the 357 with a better tuned action, the Python barrel, and the high polish Colt Royal Blue finish, the 357 is often called a "poor man's Python".

One very possible option.
Member "Swamprat" does high end refinishing and rebuilding of Colt grips. It's possible he could insert a piece of walnut in the cut and restore them to quite acceptable condition.
Since the area is checkered, the checkering would help in hiding the insert piece of wood and it would not be as noticeable.

Contact Swamprat here:

View Profile: swamprat - Colt Forum

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to PM swamprat but I don't have enough posts yet. Maybe someone could pass this along to him. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Welcome from Arizona!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.