Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FolksHoping someone can help me ID this barrel I picked up. It's 5.5 inches with 1st/2nd Generation Threads. That's all I know. Hoping someone can help me pin it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey FolksHoping someone can help me ID this barrel I picked up. It's 5.5 inches with 1st/2nd Generation Threads. That's all I know. Hoping someone can help me pin it down.
Looks like a nice used barrel... What else do you want to know? Does it have a serial number?
I need a 7 1/2" .44-40; 7 1/2" .45; 7 1/2" .38-40 in blue AND 7 1/2" IN NICkEL. iN goog OR vRY good
Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice used barrel... What else do you want to know? Does it have a serial number?I need a 7 1/2" .44-40; 7 1/2" .45; 7 1/2" .38-40 in blue AND 7 1/2" IN NICkEL. iN goog OR vRY goodBill
I'd like to know if someone can provide a range of production dates by looking at font styles. There are no other markings. I am hoping this would be a correct barrel for my SAA serial: 686XX (1881) that is cut with no markings. Thanks

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'd like to know if someone can provide a range of production dates by looking at font styles. There are no other markings. I am hoping this would be a correct barrel for my SAA serial: 686XX (1881) that is cut with no markings. Thanks
NOPE, no caliber marking on side of bbl until 1887!

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
NOPE, no caliber marking on side of bbl until 1887!
And I'm questioning the 45 colt marking also....doesn't look factory to me....if I had to guess based on what I can see in the pictures both the barrel address and the caliber marking have been reapplied and the front sight looks wrong which leads me to believe a cut barrel with a replaced front sight.

Reactions: Rick

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The markings are very strong, unlike others I've seen. The sight is tapered at the top. I'll get more pics. A 5.5 inch barrel for 1881 would only have the barrel address, correct? The 1881 I have is kind of a dog, but I wanted to restore it simply because of its age. Could someone provide pics of correct address and markings?Thanks so much

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Got to a real computer with a real monitor that I can see and that barrel has a high profile sight....so if it's even legit colt it's post year 1911 as far as age goes.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That is a 1910 or later bbl, they changed the rifling from narrow lands to wide lands that year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.