Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1967 4" blued Colt Diamondback .38 special in about +95% condition on sunday for $500. I took it out to the range this morning, and put 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 130gr FMJ .38 specials through my newly acquired Colt.

THE GOOD:
In SA my Diamondback was flawless. The sights were off about 3" low/left at 7yds, but I was proud that I had it zeroed-in with only 12 shots.

THE BAD:
In DA I was getting frequent (2-3rds per cylinder) light primer strikes. This problem seemed to much more exacerbated when I tried to shoot DA very slowly, kinda staging the trigger. Shooting DA rapidly, I don't think it failed at all, or if it did, only once or twice.

THE UGLY:
Several times I felt very tiny fragments strike me in the face when I fired my Diamondback. Also, I found several tiny pieces of cooper jacketing on my lane table. I guess this means that someone has farted around with my Colt, (?messing with the mainspring,ect...?) and fouled up the timing and hammerstrikes.

My question is this, I really like this Colt and want to make it 100% correct, so should I entrust it to a local gunsmith or just contact Colt, and see what they can do for it. Also, if I'm going to send it to Colt anyway, should I have them do a complete restoration job on it, including a high-end trigger job, and rebluing it "Royal Blue"?

I know that collectors don't want you to refinish guns, but I don't want this revolver as a collectable, just a 100% 200rds per month shooter.

Finally, any rough ideas how much all this would cost, if done by Colt? Is the Diamondback worth it, or should I just pay a little more for a NIB Diamondback (rare but I know I can find one)? Sorry for the long post, but I'd really appreciate some advice/opinions about this. Thanks.

nero

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 06-13-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi nero. You have asked a number of reasonable questions. I will only comment on a couple.

I believe you will find the consensus will be to send it back to Colts instead of entrusting it to the local gunsmith. This is certainly my opinion. Who is better prepared to service your Colt than Colts? Based on your descriptions, I'd say it requires a trip to the factory.

Regarding refinishing a 95% gun, I would have to ask why? Yes I can read, and saw your desire to have "just a 100% 200rds per month shooter". But is it really worth the extra expense for 5% better looks? Especially as over the years of ownership and use, it will likely get to 95% again. Is that 5% a real embarrassment to you? Something you just can't live with? If so, find another gun. NIB or 99% as you will never be happy with this one. If it were me, I would not refinish a 95% gun.

This is your gun and who cares what "the collectors" think about refinishing. You can do as you choose and "the collectors" have no vote in your decision. The only vote that counts is yours.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Nero!
I agree with WS 23. I've bought a few Colts, second hand, that had the same symptoms. Once, my wife- standing well behind the firing line, caught a piece of bullet shaving on her cheek from a Python. The 357 I have now doesn't shave bullets but it doesn't much like double action, either. I'm afraid both our guns need to go to Colt and we'll both have another bill. (I know that's JUST what I need!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I called Colt yesterday and was given instuctions on sending my Diamondback to Colt. I was told a gunsmith would check out the revolver and then let me know what is wrong and how much it will cost to fix it.

I was also told that they get $52 an hour for labor, which sounds reasonable, but I'm not a 100% sure about that figure as I was having a hard time hearing this gal on the phone (bad connection). She also told me that they charge $225 to reblue in "Royal Blue", but I don't think I'll do that, the bluing on my Diamondback is in great shape.

Finally, to get my Diamondback to shoot POA I had to adjust the rear sights way over to the right, more so than seems normal. Is this an indication that the barrel may need to be turned? Again, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

nero

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Since you are sending the revolver back to the factory then also tell them of the POI problem and they can correct that too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts