Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I've owned my 80 Gold Cup since new in 88. I haven't been shooting it since I moved to NJ and had a family, etc. I'd like to get back into shooting it a few times a month, and have some "basic" questions about the gun:

The barrel, hammer, and trigger are silver--are they stainless, or just polished steel with no finish?

Can I replace the factory Elliason rear sight with a better, easier to see (3 dots, or white outline) version?

Finally, aside from the sights and trigger, is my gun the same as a standard ser 80 1911? If not, why?

Thanks for the re-education!

Andy

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
In order:
The bright parts are polished steel, not stainless.

The sight cut for the Ellison target rear is a standard Colt sight cut.
This means that any sight made to fit a Colt standard cut will fit your slide.

There are several options:
One, is to have white dots installed in your Ellison.
I don't recommend this, since the Ellison is an expensive target sight, and adding dots would more or less ruin it for it's intended purpose, and the Ellison is an EXPENSIVE sight.

Two, is to buy a standard Colt Accro rear sight with a white outline, or buy a new blade insert with either a white outline or white dots.
Accro sights are less expensive than the Ellison, and new, replacement blades are fairly cheap and easy to install.

Third, is to buy a new non-factory rear sight.
Millett makes a new high-quality rear sight with a number of choices of inserts in different colors.
This is more the size of the Accro than the Ellison, and many people with Accro fitted guns buy the Millett.

My suggestion, is to not alter the Ellison, just replace the rear with something else.
This way, you can put an expensive gun back into original condition, if desired.

The Gold Cup is a true target version of the Series 80 Government Model.
As such, it's barrel, bushing, slide, and frame are fitted tighter for improved accuracy.

The Gold Cup trigger assembly is tuned for a better trigger pull, and has a tiny spring and lever installed with the sear to prevent the target hammer and sear assembly from "bouncing off" when the slide closes, and allowing the hammer to drop to half cock.

The frame has a wider cut to accept the wide Gold Cup trigger.

In total, the Gold Cup receives hand fitting and finishing to improve accuracy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for all the info! From all the negative comments about the Ser 80 GC, I almost convinced myself I had a dog! I bought the gun because I enjoy shooting, and the only shooting I do is at targets! So the fact that the GC is a target gun is fine with me!

My only problem with the rear sight (aside from the pin breaking) is that it's hard to see in a dim pistol range, with shooting glasses, and a dark target. A white-trimmed rear would be better. How much $$ are we talking to buy a Millett, or one of the others you mentioned?

Thanks again!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I'll be blunt: Most of the complaints about the Series 80 guns are due to the firing pin lock assembly.

Most people who put the 80 down claim the lock system "ruins the trigger pull", and makes it heavier.

Where Ill be blunt is this: MOST people can't tell the difference between a Colt with or without the Series 80 firing pin lock, in actual blind tests.

In other words, lay out 10 Colt's, some with and some without, let them try the trigger pull, and the vast majority of shooters can't tell you which have the assembly and which don't.

Much of this is the same thing as an ordinary golfer hearing that Tiger Woods is using some new type club, and they'll all run out and buy one.

Then they'll tell everyone, (including themselves) how much of a difference they can detect.

I aways said that if Jerry Barnhart ever mentioned that he slathers his front sight with goose grease, by morning there wouldn't be a goose left alive south of Canada.

For new rear sights, here's some options:
Brownell's carry Millett sights to fit the Colt standard adjustable sight cut.

These offer a white outline or a two dot set up:
601-028-122. White outline
601-028-111. Two white dots.
Both priced at "about" $52.00

BOTH use the stock front sight.

Gun Parts Carry the Colt Accro rear sight with white outline:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=227280

On the front sight, you have the option of replacing the sight with something with a white or colored insert, OR simpler and cheaper, just using some model airplane paint to paint a dot or bar on the front.

I like the paint better, since replacing the sight often brings problems with loose sights that either fly off or shift around.

Another, even cheaper option is to buy some gloss white model paint and a fine artist's brush, and just PAINT a white outline on the rear Ellison blade and put a white dot on the front.

This is cheaper than anything, doesn't alter the gun, can be easily removed with a little lacquer thinner, and you can cheaply experiment with other colors, or combinations of colors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you! I BOUGHT the pistol because I loved the feel of the trigger! I didn't even know about the extra safety spring system. Still love the trigger feel. I guess if you are a master marksman, and have compared a ton of different triggers, the extra spring may feel lame to you? My other gun is a service grade M1 Carbine--what do I know about trigger feel!?

I could see buying the Millett outline rear, and painting a line or bar on the front. Better than the dark red on there now--turns black in low light!

Another question: I have an 18 lb recoil spring in there now. Can I use both 230 and 185 grain ammo, or do I need to put the original 14 lb spring back for 185 gr wad cutter?

Another another question: What's with the plastic mainspring housing?? Even my Replica Model 45 has a metal one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Andy,

If I may ask, what target are you using with your GC? The reason I ask is because you stated all you do is target shoot. I too do a lot of target shooting like slow fire bullseye at 50 feet. I too have a wonderful ’80 series GC and literally out of the box it groups 6 shots well in the 8,9 and better rings of a 50 ft NRA b target. I didn’t even have to adjust the sights, they are exactly as they came from the factory. I ask because holding a 6 o’clock sight picture on the target, your front and rear sights are still in the light part if the target and shouldn’t give you any problems with alignment. If you are shooting center of the target or one that is mostly black, then yes I can see the problem you are having.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Scott-

I haven't shot the gun in over 4 years. All I do is target shoot--that is, WHEN I do shoot! Last time I went to the range, I had your standard 50 ft NRA target. I found that with the target dimly lit, and the shooting point kinda dim, it was hard for me to line up the sights even at the 6:00 position. Maybe the range lighting was lame. Maybe I was out farther than 50 feet, making the black part of the target smaller than it normally would appear?

I figure a sight outline would only help in dark range situations? Or, would it detract from a 6:00 target/sight line up in good conditions?

When I was in good form, I got really great groups with the GC--especially when using Remmington 185gr waddcutter ammo!
I need to find a range near me and get back into the groove!

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts