Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on forum but I lurk on the SAA forum a lot. Inherited this Colt conversion kit that I'm going to try on my 1945 Colt 1911A1. I know nothing about such kits. What can you tell me about its vintage/value etc. ? THANKS DSC00193.JPG DSC00201.JPG DSC00204.JPG DSC00288.JPG DSC00289.JPG

·
Registered
321 Posts
Start here
The instructions are dated on the outer back bottom page, month & year

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Put a little lube (grease) on the floating chamber - assemble and fire.

Use something like Remington's 'Golden Bullets' because of their harder waxed coating - I use them with all of mine with no problems.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Here is one around a Colt Gold Cup. I forgot to put the number two firing pin stop in the picture. Anway bought it for $450 from a LGS about 10 years ago with the box and papers. The guide rod is mine. I just leave it on the spring. Historic and interesting to own but new conversion units like Marvel are much more accurate.

Looking at what sells on gunpoker, etc. would give one an idea of what they are worth these days.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
What is the date on the instruction pamphlet?
Looks to me to be a early to mid 70's era Conversion Unit. Hard to pin a value as I see them with all the OEM parts in the original box priced all over the place. That one looks quite nice.
I own 2. They won't win you a bullseye trophy but they are fun to shoot. Just be sure to use plated bullets. Like Dogface, I use Remington Golden Bullets (1255FPS) and the Conversion Unit functions flawlessly and stays reasonably clean after 50 rounds. In my experiance, using straight lead bullets will result in a seized up floating chamber very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the date says 1966. I have a bunch of Winchester copper plated bullets. Will they work as well as Remington Golden Bullets do you think? THANKS

·
Registered
327 Posts
Buy 100 rounds of Remington, Winchester, Federal, CCI, etc. plated bullets and try each brand in turn. As a rule, the conversion units seem to find a brand of ammo they like and malfunction with the other brands.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
That's true of all of the .22 automatics, it seems.

The 'plated' bullet just functions more smoothly - and believe me, you really want 'smooth' when you use your Conversion Unit.

I have three - a Colt, a Ceiner for my M9 and an M261 for my AR - so long as I clean and lube them properly, they work like sewing machines.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put a little lube (grease) on the floating chamber - assemble and fire.

Use something like Remington's 'Golden Bullets' because of their harder waxed coating - I use them with all of mine with no problems.
dogface6 was right. Tried Winchester .22 ammo and had a lot of jamming. Used Remington Golden Bullets and Voila no jamming.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Earlier there was a thread on the numbers stamped on the labels of boxes from that era. The conversion unit shown is stamped with 17, and I have the same era Cobra box that is also stamped with a 17. Hard to imagine it being anything other than a control/inventory number used for a short period of time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had bought a Colt .22 conversion for my Colt 1911 back in '81 [IIRC] Didn't work worth a damn for me, mostly feed problems. Took it back to the store and traded it on a ACE. My ACE has eaten every brand of .22 I've tried. One of my better firearm choices for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts