Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me determine the value of this Colt Frontier Six Shooter. 44-40 cal, made in 1898. These are the only pictures I have currently. I may be buying this gun and I do not want to overpay. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Are you sure that it's 1898 production?; if so I think there are some issues with it. I believe that the etched panel Frontier Six-Shooter was only used through 1890, and it should have the round bottom trigger guard. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it also looks like that it might have a broken trigger or hammer notch.

Best regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am only going by what I can see on the tag in the picture. They may have gotten the year wrong. I wish I had more pictures to go by.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Have the dealer check the SN so you can determine year of manufacture. Also looking at the picture, it doesn't look like it has the spring release for the cylinder pin. The pistol might be correct if it actually was about 10 years older. Maybe the dealer mixed up the date; perhaps 1889 instead of 1898.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
BTW, even if it turns out that the dealer was mistaken in the year of manufacture, there's no way to really get a true sense of the gun's value without a lot more and higher resolution pictures of all parts of the gun. Refinished, mixed numbers, etc? But I'm just pointing out some of the more obvious issues; I'm sure the real experts will show up shortly.

Best regards,

·
Registered
382 Posts
I will say that's a mighty nice etch panel. Like others said, need to see more photos of markings and serial numbers. Barrel looks nickeled in the photo I'm looking at. Is the gun nickel plated, or is it just my computer? Obvious replacement grips, but that's no big deal if the price is right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gun is at an auction I will be going to in a couple weeks. That is why I only have the limited info. Based only on these 3 pictures and assuming everything is here ( I will do a basic function test when I see it ). What would be a safe ballpark? $500, $1000, $2000? I know it is hard to put a value on something with this limited information, but right now it is all I have. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Unless that's some kind of funky photo angle that doesn't show the finish correctly, that etched panel has been reapplied.

I have seen a couple of these recently, Basically no finish guns, with an As new looking etched panel. They were the first to disappear with use.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Unless that's some kind of funky photo angle that doesn't show the finish correctly, that etched panel has been reapplied.I have seen a couple of these recently, Basically no finish guns, with an As new looking etched panel. They were the first to disappear with use.
Interesting, I thought that panel looked awfully good in comparison to the rest of the gun.Best regards,

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
The gun has to have a serial number under apprx 163,000 because it is a black powder frame with the cylinder pin held in with a screw. Etching pretty well stopped on guns by the 129,000 serial range. That said, that gun has to be made in 1896 or before. If the serial number is over 130,000 or so it should have a roll die caliber markingThat one's etching is so deep it would never wear off like the real ones will do when you lose most of the barrel finish.My impression of the gun with the color of the metal is that it's probably a refinish that someone has taken down to a un natural look and the barrel may be re etched or maybe a totally new replacement barrel totally. In my area it's probably a 1200 dollar piece. The problem is that most auctions you will have a few people who have heard that old colt single actions are worth a lot and someone who doesn't know what they are looking at is going to pay way too much money for the gun..Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Unless that's some kind of funky photo angle that doesn't show the finish correctly, that etched panel has been reapplied.

I have seen a couple of these recently, Basically no finish guns, with an As new looking etched panel. They were the first to disappear with use.
Whatever the age the panel has been re-applied. Not original.
Grips could be worth 200.00-250.00 alone. 1800.00 in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the etch panel being re-applied, or a new replacment barrel. Original etch panels weren't that bold, even when new. Otherwise, looks like a no finish gun. Maybe a shooter if cheap enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts