Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

Today, my 10 day waiting period was finally over and I picked up my Colt Trooper .357 Magnum. It is a 1966.

It was suppose to be never been shot.

I purchased a cleaning set and started to lubricate it.

The barrel was super clean, but the cylinder was actually pretty dirty.

I put some lube around the firing pin and while wiping it off, some of the finish around it came off.

Question: Was I fooled and the revolver had some usage after all(and somebody just refinished it)? Or did I used an too aggressive cleaner? (I used the 3 in 1 cleaner the dealer pointed out to me)?

Or maybe it had not been cleaned in many years in detail and thats why the blue finish came partly off?

Thank you some input.

MM:eek:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
My '66 Trooper .357 definitely had not been cleaned in many years, if ever, and showed no real signs of being fired.
No loss of finish in that area when I cleaned it anyway after I bought it.
Could it have been burned carbon residue that came off on yours?
Denis

·
Premium Member
9,625 Posts
No normal gun lubricant or cleaner will remove bluing. By 3-1, I assume you mean "3-in-1," correct? (3-in-1 is not the first choice of most gun people, but it should not cause harm.)

I do not understand from what part of the gun you think you removed the finish. I will guess that you mean the recoil plate in the frame through which the firing pin protrudes to ignite the primer. If that assumption is correct, then it is not uncommon to find the recoil plate showing bare metal due to the affects of the cartridge head polishing the recoil plate after repeated firing. You likely just removed dirt and exposed the clean, bare underlying surface.

Or maybe you mean the firing pin itself. A firing pin likewise will show polishing after use, and cleaning off a dirty firing pin to expose the bare metal underneath might seem like the blue was removed.

A picture of the area in question, or a better description, would be helpful to properly address your question.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Dunno which 3 in 1 cleaner you used, but none should be removing bluing.
I'd suspect just dirt/powder residue.
Some wear there's normal, as JC said.
Denis

·
Registered
544 Posts
This post is almost as entertaining as the fellow who stated that after firing 50 rounds through his pistol he 'shot off all the blueing.'

If the cylinder was as dirty as you describe, I find it difficult to believe the weapon had never been fired. I would speculate that you removed some schmutz from a surface that had worn down to bright metal through honest wear, a common occurance on the recoil plate.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Pictures would surely help in determining what happened here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts