Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that had a me a python in really bad shape. Well when I got there I almost lost my lunch when I saw it. The story goes that he left it in a range bag in his closet, he had an older sickly cat that decided to make the range bag it's place to take a pee and a few months later he found this:

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Material property Door handle Glass Door Window
Metal

Well he took the gun to Gander Mtn and they gunsmith tore it apart and then decided that it was not worth fixing. I find this very hard to believe, I think the gunsmith got in over his head but??

So in a nutshell I have the gun the original box and a bag full of parts now what to do?? I have to admit that I have never torn a python down to this degree so I am not sure that I can get it back together. Second what to do about the finish? Duracoat? I need some help here folks, what should I do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, that's some deep pitting on the barrel. What does the rifling look like? I would go to another expert smith just to find out if its safe to shoot even if he can put it back together. That's BS that the Gander MT guy didn't at least reassemble it. Normally I would be livid, but seeing that I think I would be too sad to get mad...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,466 Posts
You'd be surprised at what a real professional refinisher can do even with a pitted gun.

My suggestion is to send it in to Colt for their appraisal as to just what can be done with it. Right now they're swamped and won't be taking any re-finish work until August, but it would be well worth your time to wait for them to look it over.

If needed Colt can even re-do the stamps to restore them as well.
Price will be competitive with other top refinishers.

If you don't want to wait, I can recommend either Ford's or Glenrock, both of whom are top refinishers and can do a true Python level polish and blue job.
Personally, putting anything like a gun coating on a Python is like brushing Rustoleum on a Ferrari.
I'd wait and let Colt at least look at it. Even if they can't make it look brand new, you'd be surprised at how good they can make it look.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Normal cost for Colt to do a reblue is around $400 +/- due to shipping.As badly as this one is pitted it might be worth talking to someone about engraving it.There would be less pits left to polish out and it might even look better than the all reblue route.Just a suggestion.D*

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,466 Posts
Engraving will cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, then you still have to have it re-finished.
All this is going to cost significant money.

How much Colt will charge to try to restore the gun is something only Colt can tell you after seeing the gun, since a pitted gun is a different proposition then a gun with just bluing worn off.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Blast it, parkerize it and shoot it. Cheapest route to put it to good shooter condition imho. I would think any attempt to "restore" is going to cost a lot of money and wind up with less than satisfying results. if you want a safe queen buy one, this is a gun to shoot and enjoy

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well honestly I am into the gun for about $350 so I have some money that I can put in to it, I would happily put $800 to $1000 in it. I might just try the engravers just to see what kind of $$ it would cost, colt refinish would be my second choice. Pakerized, just not sure I can do that...

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Most engravers who are good will charges that much for the coverage you need without the refinishing. If it is worth it to you then I would do whatever makes you happy. My experience with most things in life is that if you start with a substandard foundation you wind up with a substandard result. It's your gun, your money and you can see in 3d what the damage actually is. I hope the results are worth your investment and you are very happy with your return regardless of decision. Thanks for saving a basketcase!
Well honestly I am into the gun for about $350 so I have some money that I can put in to it, I would happily put $800 to $1000 in it. I might just try the engravers just to see what kind of $$ it would cost, colt refinish would be my second choice. Pakerized, just not sure I can do that...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The general consensus on the engravers cafe with it was going to cost too much to fill the pitting and then engrave. So I think that is off the table. I am thinking of finding a replacement barrel and cylinder where the majority of the major issues are. The frame does have some pitting but not near as bad. Then I might sent them off to Colt and have them mount the barrel and then refinish. So if anyone out there has an extra barrel or cylinder they would like to gid rid of let me know, it will go to a good cause!!! :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would bead blast the gun then nickel plate it which will give it the colt guard look and finish which will run you short cash. $300 bucks at the most. Also most engravers will give you cost of blueing or finish with the engraving included. Not all but most. If you choose the route to engrave, I'm sure you will not regret the work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.