Colt Forum banner

Which do I go with

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've reviewed 4 Million (give or take) Gun Safes, Gun Vaults, Lock Boxes, Security Boxes, etc. Here's the simple question. I've settled on the Fort Knox PB1 but these little dual gun safes are $315 each.

Now, the more important part. Do I need them? Here's my situation. I live in a smaller home. I have a small collection (5 guns). 4 of them are worthy of care. They are positioned in the walk in closet that is adjacent to the bathroom. Perhaps not ideal for humidity, but it's the best spot for storage (and I take quick showers)

Each gun is in a borestores sock and has a light coat of oil applied. I wipe them down religiously every 90 days. I have NO purpose for the Safe regarding theft, fire, children, etc. I am simply looking at it from a storage standpoint. Given how they are currently housed, Is there a difference in sticking the borestore in a $10 Tupperware Box vs. a $350 Steel "safe" that equally isn't airtight?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liberty fireproof safe with Golden Rod.
it’s what I have. I’m sure there are other good alternatives.
Thanks Rick. I don’t want to turn the discussion towards everyone’s preferences (we will get a million responses and yours is expensive but GREAT). Rather, I’m interested in learning of my particular situation what poll results side with the majority. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Personally I recommend a safe and considering where you need to put it, add a dehumidifier of some sort.
I'm not sure why you aren't concerned about theft, fire, etc. and assume you don't have children. In my opinion, the longer it takes for a thief or a fire to get to something you value, the better the odds are that you get to keep it in good condition.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In today's lawyer driven world, it's better to be able to say that they were locked up in something if someone burglarized your house and found them.

One other thing I do with mine is put moisturizer absorbing packets in with the guns. Unfortunately my daughter has a very serious illness that requires a large amount of medical equipment and medication, however one plus is that I am in constant supply of absorption packets from her shipments of pills and oxygen tubing for the nipples on my 1851 navy replica.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I recommend a safe and considering where you need to put it, add a dehumidifier of some sort.
I'm not sure why you aren't concerned about theft, fire, etc. and assume you don't have children. In my opinion, the longer it takes for a thief or a fire to get to something you value, the better the odds are that you get to keep it in good condition.
I'm posting this strickly as a gun condition topic. Does the metal safe provide better protection vs. the current solution.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In today's lawyer driven world, it's better to be able to say that they were locked up in something if someone burglarized your house and found them.

One other thing I do with mine is put moisturizer absorbing packets in with the guns. Unfortunately my daughter has a very serious illness that requires a large amount of medical equipment and medication, however one plus is that I am in constant supply of absorption packets from her shipments of pills and oxygen tubing for the nipples on my 1851 navy replica.
I will keep your daughter in prayer friend.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm posting this strickly as a gun condition topic. I’m not suggesting those other things aren’t important, I meant for the purpose of the post, it’s directly in relationship to care of the firearm. Does the metal safe provide better protection vs. the current solution.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I'm posting this strickly as a gun condition topic. Does the metal safe provide better protection vs. the current solution.
The plastic box and gun socks protect against one thing.
A decent safe will offer protection against multiple things that are bad for guns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will keep your daughter in prayer friend.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

A simple gun safe will protect against moisture. It'll protect against theft. And if you spend some money, it can protect against fire. You can also use it to store other valuables.

I will throw out an option I use (I know it wasn't your intent for this thread) but in addition to my big gun safe, both my wife's and my nightstands are gun safes. Just about perfect for the number of guns you need to store. Keeps them close by for night time emergencies, and they have outlets and USB ports to charge my phone and plug in my alarm clock. Might be a good alternative to a full size safe

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, I appreciate that.

A simple gun safe will protect against moisture. It'll protect against theft. And if you spend some money, it can protect against fire. You can also use it to store other valuables.

I will throw out an option I use (I know it wasn't your intent for this thread) but in addition to my big gun safe, both my wife's and my nightstands are gun safes. Just about perfect for the number of guns you need to store. Keeps them close by for night time emergencies, and they have outlets and USB ports to charge my phone and plug in my alarm clock. Might be a good alternative to a full size safe
Thank you. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Depending where you live you may or may not need the Golden Rod or other heat producing device. You can drive humidity down so low you begin to crack highly figured wood on rifle stocks or handgun stocks are more vulnerable being thinner and lose moisture,wood needs some humidity. Wyoming is dry,except a few months in the Spring I often open the doors on my safes when I’m using the swamp cooler or humidifier to get humidity up to 40% . I also wax all of my guns zero rust in 17 years. I cracked a highly figured piece of French Walnut on a Gibbs rifle because of a Golden Rod in the safe.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I think I'm getting at what you're in need of. What I'd do is a compromise at least. Aside from protection and security, which it seems you don't need for your living situation, what a small metal safe will do better than a plastic tote is create a much better storage environment. You said some of them are worthy of select care. The small metal safe with a dehumidifier rod will create a warm and dry environment, much better than just the bore stores. I live in a dry environment and still have one or even two golden rods going at all times. In the cold months, when I open the safe, I can actually feel the dry heat coming out. The only thing this would be detrimental to would be ivory, which can be cared for in other ways. Of course, as Longranger mentioned above, if you're in an extremely dry environment with high quality wood, then you may not be in need of the golden rods. Focus more on the storage environment vs security aspect and the safe is still the clear winner.

Plus you get a cool place to keep other important items just because.

Putting guns away in a safe/lockbox just seems right. Putting guns away, even a Glock :cool:, in a plastic tote just seems wrong.
My opinion only.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm getting at what you're in need of. What I'd do is a compromise at least. Aside from protection and security, which it seems you don't need for your living situation, what a small metal safe will do better than a plastic tote is create a much better storage environment. You said some of them are worthy of select care. The small metal safe with a dehumidifier rod will create a warm and dry environment, much better than just the bore stores. I live in a dry environment and still have one or even two golden rods going at all times. In the cold months, when I open the safe, I can actually feel the dry heat coming out. The only thing this would be detrimental to would be ivory, which can be cared for in other ways. Of course, as Longranger mentioned above, if you're in an extremely dry environment with high quality wood, then you may not be in need of the golden rods. Focus more on the storage environment vs security aspect and the safe is still the clear winner.

Plus you get a cool place to keep other important items just because.

Putting guns away in a safe/lockbox just seems right. Putting guns away, even a Glock :cool:, in a plastic tote just seems wrong.
My opinion only.
Very good insight. Thanks. So the silicone packet for instance in the safe wouldn't take away from the light oil coat correct? These are all plastic grips or faux pearl on the replicas

·
Registered
935 Posts
Seems a lot want to jump back to security , funny after your reiterating . Pretty sure you know the answer , sock and oil in two type material vessels just as air leaky will be so close as to be moot . Fast temperature change to make a sweat to the metal will happen even in wood . Or glass , like my beer . Keep them oiled and dust free , they will out last you .

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems a lot want to jump back to security , funny after your reiterating . Pretty sure you know the answer , sock and oil in two type material vessels just as air leaky will be so close as to be moot . Fast temperature change to make a sweat to the metal will happen even in wood . Or glass , like my beer . Keep them oiled and dust free , they will out last you .
Most things will at this stage, lol....Thanks for the post. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
These are all good and suitable suggestions for what personal preference and need might be.
I have a relatively inexpensive safe that I have modified to accommodate more equipment. It is a matter of convenience mostly. I put a 1kg silica gel pack in it, and recharge it in the oven from time to time. Works just fine.
My son has an inexpensive locking cabinet that works for keeping his guns and whatnot secure. His needs are fewer at this point, and will be good enough for some time to come.
I kinda like the nightstand/safe suggestion.
Ya pays ya bucks an' ya takes ya pick.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts