Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A "C"
I looked online and couldn't find any actual headstamps. I did find a picture of the same ammo but no caption.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Communication Device Font Rectangle Line Screenshot
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Except that according to the internet the Lake city Plant was established in December 1940 and wasn't in operation until 1941

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I go to cartidgecolledtors.org I don't see Shooter13, CN- Lake City entry.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
When I go to cartidge colledtors.org I don't see Shooter13, CN- Lake City entry.
3RD ENTRY DOWN...from the beginning of the letter "C" Marine.

They listed letter (dash) letter & the letter (space) letter first...then went to alphabetical order

- C -​
C-BCOR-BON, 1311 Industrial Rd, Sturgis, SD 577851
C-PCrompton Parkinson Co. Ltd, Doncaster, Yorkshire, U.K.8
C NLake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO15

Okay I missed it as I was on that page.
Yes the 9 / 40 is probably the date.
Except that according to the internet the Lake city Plant was established in December 1940 and wasn't in operation until 1941
Was just trying to help, (already had the IAAI link from prior searches of my own)...a simple thanks would have sufficed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
3RD ENTRY DOWN...from the beginning of the letter "C" Marine.

They listed letter (dash) letter & the letter (space) letter first...then went to alphabetical order

- C -​
C-BCOR-BON, 1311 Industrial Rd, Sturgis, SD 577851
C-PCrompton Parkinson Co. Ltd, Doncaster, Yorkshire, U.K.8
C NLake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO15

Was just trying to help, (already had the IAAI link from prior searches of my own)...a simple thanks would have sufficed.

Thanks.

So CN 9 40 would not be Lake City if 9 40 is the date code?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Thanks.

So CN 9 40 would not be Lake City if 9 40 is the date code?

According to the OP...in his 1st post...the head stamp reads:

C N 9 40...with spaces in between each letter and number except the last two digits

The chart sez C(space)N = Lake City...and I conjectured 9 40 as September of 1940...as that is usually the case... It could also be a " Lot # "

OP and others have their own opinion...

Hope that helps Marine...

{ btw: }

.30 Caliber (.30-06 Springfield)

In 1953, large batches of .30-06 ammunition were manufactured under unique arsenal head stamps. The case had red lacquer sealant around the primer annulus. The head stamp has a two-letter manufacturer code and the lot code (rather than the year) is the number 40 followed by a third numeral. Collectors allege that the cartridges were intended to be aid to anti-Communist insurgents and Allied forces equipped with US weapons.
{ And then there is this: }

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Head stamp nor bandoleer doesn't look like U.S. manufacture.

Pull a bullet and see if primer is boxer or berdan. Also a good time to see if it is corrosive primed or not.
I am inclined to agree.
I have a full bandolier, it belongs to my shooting buddy and he asked me to list it, but was i curious as to who made it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts