Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran across an offical police, ser no 687xxx with a M underneath, 4 in heavey barrell, brown plastic colt grips. what is odd is the finish, looks parkerized, can`t tell if a refinish, but since no drag marks on cylinder, I am going to assume so, but how did the finish get on it?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Your gun dates to 1943.

During WWII Colt made the Official Police as the "Commando" with a parkerized finish.
This was strictly a war-time expedient for issue to defense plant guards, and the military.

Either your Official Police has been refinished at some point, or it's actually a war-time Official Police, probably made for state-side police sales.

I suspect the Commando was intended for US government use, and the parkerized Official Police was for civilian police use, since production of the Official Police did continue through the war.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the finish resembles the dull blue on top of the rib on my python, and the top strap on my dick special. It has to be refurbished even the ratchit on the cylinder shows no marks on the finish

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah, he wants $300 for it but I think I can get it lower, what would be a good price, and is there any collectability since I am sure its been refinished?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, it's certainly within the range for a DSC (Defense Supplies Corp.) purchase. Any marks on the left (cylinder release side) side of the frame below the rear sight?

I have an OP near that serial number with the ord logo right about there, but mine is blued.

For what it's worth, I ran the serial number range against NYPD DSC purchases and inventory and it did not come up.

Best,
RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts