Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this several years ago at an auction. At the time, I thought it was a pommel holster, but upon getting it home I'm not so sure. The "holster" part is 14 inches long, but the taper is such that a 1860 Army or 51 Navy won't fit. I thought about being for a single shot percussion, but don't have any to try. The opening is only about an inch wide. There are no makers marks anywhere that I can find.

The other half looks like a small saddle pocket with a percussion cap pouch that I'm sure has been added at some point.

My other thought was that this might be a guidon holder, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thoughts? Thanks...click to enlarge...

Tool Antique tool Wood Tree Rock Helmet Antique tool

·
Registered
181 Posts
One close to yours is feathered on page 54 of "Packing Iron". It says: "Civilian Pommel Holster for Single-Shot Pistols or Colt Dragoon Model Revolvers. 1850-1860...etc..."
Yours has a Pommel Bag attached.

Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dont know what you got there Chaffee.......but it is pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One close to yours is feathered on page 54 of "Packing Iron". It says: "Civilian Pommel Holster for Single-Shot Pistols or Colt Dragoon Model Revolvers. 1850-1860...etc..."
Yours has a Pommel Bag attached.

Bill
I've been meaning to get that book for years and now it looks like the perfect excuse. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts