Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I picked up this little pistol. It is a .40 dbl percussion. It was listed as a .32 and an A. Holmes, however I can find no reference to 'A. Holmes' anywhere in my library or online. 9'' overall length. The only markings anywhere on it are a '46' marked on all parts. If anyone can help ID the maker, I'd appreciate it.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
From my vast knowledge & experience (more like half-vast if you say it fast) I found several Holmes in my American & English makers books but no A. Holmes. It's a pistol of fairly common design centering on the 1840s, mostly from Belgium. Being a double it's more desirable than the usual ones seen single barrel. My guess it's one of those that the maker put an English sounding name on, to give it more sales appeal. If it were English it would have proofs.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert. I figured if anyone knew about it, you would.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
This is an easy one! You have a Joe Biden approved carry pistol!! :cool:

Seriously, I can't help you much except to say that the wood might be a clue as to country of origin, etc. The U.S. Forest Department offers a free service for doing this, if you're able to cut a small sliver of wood from inside the grip (friends have told me about the size of a toothpick).

Forest Products Laboratory - USDA Forest Service

Most gun people probably use the service for very high dollar Kentucky rifles and American assembled Revolutionary War muskets, which is not to imply your pistol is chopped liver. :)

John Gross

·
Banned
126 Posts
If you can find the following proof mark on it it is made in Belgium. It is usually in an oval. If it is not present it is likely German or Spanish.
E
L G

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John: this thing ain't worth taking wood samples of. It isn't a high dollar piece. In short, it's pretty close to chopped liver! :)

vytautus: I can find no proof marks anywhere, however there are areas that are pitted which could, I suppose, be hiding some proofs, but I don't think so.

Wherever it was made, I bought it cause it was neat and I suppose back in the day it would have been handy to carry (very small & light) & 2 barrels are better than one. thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts