Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has owned this for a long time and we would like to identify the date of manufacture we have not been able to come across any information online. Anything anyone can tell us would be great! On the barrel there is barely visible text Hawes National Corp - Van Nuys. Under barrel there is a DG stamp and on the hammer a 1 stamp.
9B2E8365-6A05-4644-A609-2B8C474EEC43.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the welcomes and the help with this revolver! I haven’t shot it yet but I think I’m going to load it with a light load and take it out shooting.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hawes Firearms Co. Weapons

"The Hawes Firearm Company were a major American importer of European firearms during the 1950s and 1960s. Hawes were the first importer of JP Sauer & Sohn firearms into America. JP Sauer & Sohn are the oldest firearms manufacturer still active in Germany.

Hawes contracted with manufacturer JP Sauer & Sohn, Germany, to produce a series of single action guns in several calibers known as the Marshall series. These were mid range quality firearms made cheaply in Germany while the German market was undervalued, and sold on to Americans under an American brand.

They also contracted with Italian manufacturer Galisi to import small .25 semi automatics. They are likely to have imported guns from several other European manufacturers and sold them under the Hawes name to the American market.

Hawes revolvers did not have a hammer block, and therefore often fired unintentionally if the chamber beneath the hammer was loaded and the hammer suffered an impact. They were sued for this lack of a safety feature many times, and stopped importing firearms into America as a result."

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Way back in Jr high I bought a similar 1851 Navy at a Gold Triangle in Ft. Lauderdale. It was one those so-so reproductions that were available at the time.
It shot good. I let it rust up and gave it to a friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts