Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently come into an old family heirloom - Colt DA revolver. Shiny finish (well worn nickel, perhaps), ivory grips (broken), turn of the century style cylinder release (looks more angular/bent than shaped like the later ones do), 6" bbl. The only Colt identifier is on the barrel, the grips where changed or upgraded at some point - no Colt stamp on the frame. It doesn't have the frame shape of an 1878-style DA Colt. I'm thinking it's the next version, or the 1898?

I've been searching on the online auction/gunsales boards for similar pistols. Are there any good online links for identifying old Colt DA pistols? I think it's a New Pocket 32, as it seems to have a smaller frame than a .38 New Service/New Army/Navy, etc.

I'm going to take it to a gunsmith and let them check it out, but was curious to find out more about it.

Thanks all

Chip in Atlanta

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
It's probably either a Colt New Pocket Model, a New Police model, or a Police Positive model.

These were all made in a variety of .32 calibers, and all were available with a 6" barrel.

Without a better description it's hard to give a positive ID.
Unfortunately, serial numbers ran in the same ranges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they made the New Pocket DA 32 in a 6" bbl, that's what I have. That's the finish, too, except mine might be in 'slightly' better condition... emphasis on slightly.

I did make out a really faint 32 next to the COLT D A on the barrel, my grips are changed so there's no colt plastic black grips on mine.

But, the size of the frame exactly matches the New Pocket picture you posted. The New Police is a bigger frame, reminding me more of a service revolver.

Thanks, I'll post a pic tonight when I get the time to take it!

I'm gonna take it to a 'smith and see if it's worth fixing up. And, to figure out WHICH 32 it is... ;-)

Chip

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Chip; Major difference between the New Police & the New Pocket was the larger frame in the GRIP area. New Police had a longer & "square" butt at the bottom. New Police,in 4" model, got a real boost in sales,when Teddy Roosevelt,as NYC police commisioner,ordered thousands as regular issue! When you take the gun to a gunsmith,you can find out WHICH .32 cartridge it is. I had a 6" New Police",that was chambered for .32 Long Colt and a 6" N.Police Target,that was in .32 S&W(or .32 Colt New Police). The .32 Long Colt,has smaller diameter chambers,as it used a bullet the same diameter as the case,and fitted in with a "heel"(like a .22 long rifle).Later Colt,put a smaller diameter bullet in the case,but it was too small for the bore(you can by .32 Long(or Short Colt)new today,but they wont be accurate. The .32 S&W Long,is a wider diameter,and bullet is correctly sized and this is what Colt confusingly calls,.32 New Police). I know this is confusing,but after cleaning chambers,have the gunsmith see if a .32 S&W cartridge will fit,if so,its a better cartridge-if not its the old .32 Long(or Short-a weaker load- cartridge. Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Bud! I may get over there this weekend to check it out. I believe it is the New Pocket, as the grip frame barely extends below the trigger guard. Unlike the New Police, which because of the longer grip frame makes it seem like it has a bigger frame.

I'll get it checked out at the gunsmith to see what caliber it is.

Heck, if anything, this has been a great lesson on the history of the .32!

Thanks again.

Chip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts