Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out the year of my Colt AR . Serial number starts with MH030xxx. It has Colt 223 Sporter Match Hbar on the side and also has a Colt 3x20 scope on it . Is this unit on par with some of the ARs being put together these days ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is a model 6601 match hbar, and with that serial number it would be a pre ban rifle. With the scope it could be a delta hbar, a special model Colt produced at that time. Does it have a triangle logo plate on the grips?

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
It's a 1991 era rifle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve tried the Colt serial number lookup but nothing comes up for the number I have . Is there a different site I can go to ? With it being newer I don’t see a problem with actually shooting it for fun , is that right ?

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Not a website but a book...The Blue Book Pocket Guide For Colt Dates of Manufacture.

Reactions: JFH1969

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I agree, your Sporter Match HBAR model R6601 was made from 1991 up to 1994 before the ban, so yours is a pre ban, during the ban it was replaced with the Match Target HBAR model MT6601 about the same configuration except no flash hider.

That series of Sporter '91 to '94, I had two non HBAR, a model R6551 Sporter Target rifle and a R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine which I both bought in '91.

Compared to current AR rifles there are a lot of undesirable different features of the older Sporter series models.

The upper half differences are, no bayonet lug and the bolt carrier bottom half at the rear end are fully machined off, the rear end of the carrier looks like a letter "C" or half moon.

The lower receiver usually have a steel sear block which protrudes upwards of the selector lever, the pivot pins are mostly offset large size pin type which could be removed using a screwdriver and the hammer and trigger pins are oversized not the small mil-spec size (0.154") of current production.

A current production upper half could be used but an adapter pivot pin have to be used, the current full auto bolt carriers can't be used with the steel sear block (won't fit) but any older Colt semi auto carriers or other brands of semi auto carriers could be used with the sear block.

Yep, maybe just use it as is, save your Colt optic for collection, if you wish get an affordable new optic and enjoy it.

Reactions: jearl and JFH1969
1 - 9 of 9 Posts