Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I'm new here with my first Colt revolver. Its a 1931 Detective Special, serial #4034XX, nickel plated. I'm curious if anyone knows the significance of the letter "K" inscribed directly underneath the serial number. Also, I've noticed that all other DS's have the colt insignia engraved just above the stock handle grip on the left side of the gun, but mine does NOT have this insignia. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
The "K" is a standard Colt inspectors stamp.

You'll find another letter stamp on the left rear of the trigger guard, and Colt Verified Proof stamp on the left front of the trigger guard.
The Verified Proof is a tiny "VP" in a triangle.

If these stamps are missing or very faint, it's probably that they along with the Colt Pony stamp were buffed away during a refinish of the gun with bright nickel. This assumes the gun was re-finished.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The "K" is a standard Colt inspectors stamp.

You'll find another letter stamp on the left rear of the trigger guard, and Colt Verified Proof stamp on the left front of the trigger guard.
The Verified Proof is a tiny "VP" in a triangle.

If these stamps are missing or very faint, it's probably that they along with the Colt Pony stamp were buffed away during a refinish of the gun with bright nickel. This assumes the gun was re-finished.

Look at the bottom of the hilt, just in case there's a "real Detective's" police agency number stamped on there.

I have one on my mine. But the stupid former cop-owner put his frickin' SIGNATURE there too. "Dash Kiell-Hammlet", no "DASHIEL". And I think it's just "Hammet". "Dashiell HAMMET" yeah that's it - "Dashiell Hammett" -just checked.

ABSOLUTELY KILLS the gun's value!

Sheesh....... Stupid cop...........

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Most likely, the missing Rampant Colt stamp (it is a stamping, not an engraving) on the side plate indicates the gun has been poorly refinished. Clear pictures of the gun will help evaluate its originality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at the bottom of the hilt, just in case there's a "real Detective's" police agency number stamped on there.

I have one on my mine. But the stupid former cop-owner put his frickin' SIGNATURE there too. "Dash Kiell-Hammlet", no "DASHIEL". And I think it's just "Hammet". "Dashiell HAMMET" yeah that's it - "Dashiell Hammett" -just checked.

ABSOLUTELY KILLS the gun's value!

Sheesh....... Stupid cop...........

Don't you mean "Dammit Hashiell"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts