Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I concur. Not owning a Delta Elite I wasn't aware they came with a FLGR. You didn't ask but if I were to buy this particular pistol I'd already have parts ordered to convert to the much easier USGI takedown system. That's just me though ;)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
When you retract the slide does a piece of steel become exposed at the site of the hole. If so someone has modified your gun, they installed full length guide rod. Removal is a bit tough but can be done then you will need the correct parts to return it to stock condition. Personally I would be more concerned with the apparent rust on the crown of the muzzle.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
The full length guide rod wouldn't bother me too much except you will want to check and make sure that they maintained the double spring system in that thing for the added recoil of the 10mm. The delta had a guide and spring setup all its own to deal with it from the factory, albeit a little wimpy. See pic, bottom setup is from a delta

View attachment 40101

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would you think that if someone swapped out the guide rod, that they most likely beefed up the spring also, to not have to worry about firing the hotter loads? I know its a guess.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I would never put my faith in someone else. Recoil springs are cheap, new frames and slides are not. For all you know he was shooting 40 S&W level loads out of it and had a lighter spring. Better to err on the side of caution imho
Would you think that if someone swapped out the guide rod, that they most likely beefed up the spring also, to not have to worry about firing the hotter loads? I know its a guess.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What he said, unless you have a unlimited supply of hands and money!
I would never put my faith in someone else. Recoil springs are cheap, new frames and slides are not. For all you know he was shooting 40 S&W level loads out of it and had a lighter spring. Better to err on the side of caution imho

·
Registered
180 Posts
When runnig the full length guide rod in a DE, the recoil spring should be 24lbs. A lot of the owners switched from the GI set up (factory) to the full length and 24 lb spring, as the two spring system tended to break easily. Either will work it just depends on your preference. I would recommend putting a fresh spring in to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Right. That Delta has an unnecessary part. The ill-famed full length guide rod. Necessary only for extracting money from a shooter's wallet and making takedown harder.
Ditto. I would toss the full length guide rod and replace the recoil spring with the correct weight for the 10mm. The parts needed are common and very cheap, and as already stated, frames and slides are not. Never trust someone elses tinkering.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts