1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know what model that gun is. I have one. AM is how the 125 Anniversary Models were serial numbered. The gold BS, TG, hammer & trigger also ID it. Someone cut the barrel. They left Colt with 7 1/2 : barrels. They do make good shooters. I enjoy shooting mine.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
It is a 125th Anniversary SAA from 1961 but the original 7.5 inch barrel has been replaced with a shorter one with different markings. The original barrel would have "125th Anniversary SAA Model .45 Cal" roll marked on the left side and no markings on the right side. I think I would like it if the original barrel was cut, but not with the replaced barrel.
An interesting thing about the 125th Anniversary SAAs is that the first 100 serial numbers were reserved for Colt employees. (This statement is made in the Archive letters for these guns. I know because I have three of them that are lettered.) It would be interesting to know who number 19AM was shipped to.
-Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
793 Posts
As usual Bruce is correct about the barrel. I just didn't look close enough to see if it had the 125 Anniversary script.
I had no idea about the first 100 reserved for Colt employees. Got to love this forum so many interesting facts get shared here.
BTW I just shot mine yesterday with reloads using 45Schofield brass.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
I'm not so sure the price is out of line considering some of the price listings I see, but with that stated I have to agree with Bruce a shortened original barrel would be kind of neat. I like the 5 1/2 inch SA, not partial to the 4 3/4, and a 7 1/2 would be nice.
Is this barrel marked on the wrong side?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have bought from that seller, an 1886 Winchester, about 10 years ago. No issues at all dealing with him.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have bought from that seller, an 1886 Winchester, about 10 years ago. No issues at all dealing with him
I was not going to discus person dealing regarding the seller but since it has come up I feel obligated to share. I bought a musket from the seller a few years ago. Trapdoor stock with hard to find civil war lock in it. The stock was repaired with a new piece of wood spliced in. He did not mention this in the description neither did any of the pics show the repair. When I mentioned that I wanted to return it he was not very nice. Especially since I felt he should cover return shipping since he did not disclose the repair. He felt since I was not happy I had to pay return shipping. That was his compromise. I still feel any reputable dealer should of disclosed the stock was repaired and should of stood behind what he sold. I did Not leave bad feedback. I ended up keeping it as I just didn't wish to loose $75 on shipping. I ended up using the musket as parts becuase of the stock. I often just don't leave any feedback when I am not satisficed. Had he not sent anything I would of left negative feedback. Here's the kicker. He has blocked me, not that I plan on buying from him moving forward but you never know what the future holds. Maybe a customer of his could ask him to consign just what I am looking for.
So what I am saying is do your due diligence. Ask a lot of questions if your not sure before you buy from him. I hope if you do buy that you are happy with it.
[QUOTEIs this barrel marked on the wrong side? ][/QUOTE]
That is the side Colt marked their commemorative barrels. I actually have one just like it on my 1973 SAA from left over Centennial model. Bruce may want to shed some light on the non standard -standard models Colt put out using left over parts. Paul at Colt told me Colt never wasted anything.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
There are several threads on the forum discussing the non-standard barrels and other parts that Colt used in production of Single Action Army revolvers.
Here is one:
You can also read about these interesting guns in Don Wilkerson's book "The Post-War Colt Single-Action Revolver" (Taylor Publishing, 2nd edition, 1980), pages 108-113. Anyone interested in Colt SAA's should have all of Wilkerson's book on their shelf. They are the best reference works on the 2nd and 3rd gen guns.
- -Bruce in Ohio

1 - 14 of 14 Posts