Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here. Have been a knife guy since last year. Never owned a gun before but stumbled upon a revolver in my old house. Looks vintage and need some held ID'ing it. A co-worker said it looks like a Colt. Would appreciate if someone can tell me if 1. it's a real deal Colt, 2. if yes, the model and possible year of manufacture. It has the "Detective Spec" inscription (not captured by my photos) and it has what looks like a serial number (captured). If it's the real deal I will have this restored. Thanks in advance. - Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't think it is a Colt Detective Special.It does look like one but the serial number should be stamped on the inside of the frame behind the cylinder crane not on the outside of the frame.The hammer doesn't look like a Colt hammer either.The trigger looks to be too far forward in the trigger guard.I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.D*

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Amazing. I've never seen a copy of a Colt Detective Special, but I have to say this gun just doesn't look genuine.
d.a.r.y.l. - good eye! That hammer definitely isn't factory.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Welcome Carl . I see you're location is Philippines . These are made there and imported here by Armscor I believe as the M200 .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both, at least I know I shouldn't waste money on it. Would have been nice if I unearthed a genuine vintage article, but that's okay. Thanks again.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mitch, I checked out a picture of an Armscor M200, there is an "Armscor" inscription on the gun. My find has a "Detective Spec" on it. So is this neither an Armscor nor a Colt? Sorry, need to look to you guys because I can't take this out of the house legally to a local expert. I have no licenses and permits whatsoever. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think it is definitely not a Colt, but is also not quite like the Armscor M200. And it looks like it's had a rough existance, and probably considerably pre-dates the M200. Maybe something Armscor may have made earlier, as there are indications that Armscor made very similar Colt-style revolvers 20-25 years ago or more. Perhaps back then they may have stamped "Detective Special" on it.

I mentioned earlier that in my area the M200 is selling for $200 retail (including a box of ammunition). I have read some reviews saying that it is quite a well-made revolver, especially so as it bears a close resemblance to the DS, and is a good buy. In fact, I just might buy one but haven't decided yet, as I don't have a real need for one. Does anyone reading this have firsthand shooting experience with the M200 as a poor man's DS? I understand that the Armscor M1911 clones (Rock Island) are pretty good, and maybe the M200 is also.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
DWalt,

I bought one to fool around with a few years back, primarily because I was impressed with the Armscor 1911's. I wrote a short report about it here:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/18303-anybody-seen-armscor-m200-revolver.html

I eventually got the DA trigger down to about 10 pounds, and its very smooth. Accuracy was acceptable (2" groups at 15 yards in 6 seconds). My daughter-in-law wanted a smaller revolver to shoot (she's a G19/1911 girl), and she liked it better than my son's 1964 Official Police, so it's now at my son's house, as I predicted.

It's no Colt, but it's not bad for an inexpensive revolver.

Buck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, very interesting insight. DWalt, I took particular interest in yours. If it is really an Armscor that may have attempted to clone a Colt by stamping it with "Detective Spec" (and that Armscor stopped doing this ages ago), in my view this could be worth keeping for its historical value. A rough existence it surely had. Back in the late '80s my father said that a LEO had sold him a revolver in a kind of shady deal without papers involved. I may have mistaken this for the other revolver that he left, an Armscor revolver in tip top condition complete with box, ammo and papers. I am thinking that if the mystery revolver I showed you was the one the LEO had sold to him, then it probably had seen some action, thus the rough existence. I am sure that my father only went to a range only once. Also, the stamp in the picture might have been made by the government if this was a government-issue. Also I showed pictures of the mystery revolver to a friend in NH (who showed me his genuine article 3rd generation Detective Special) and he also noticed that the hammer and stock were different. He said that if this were real, then the user might have rounded it off, and the stock might have been after-market. So it could be a mod. Colt, Armscor or whatever, I will "try" to get this analyzed by someone here but will have to get around the papers issue. I will let you know what the verdict is if I find out. Thanks again! - Carl

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd guess if Armscor wanted to stamp "Detective Special" on their product to make it sell better, their being in the Philippines, there's probably not much that Colt could have done about it legally. That is, unless the Colt name was also stamped somewhere. This whole thing got me interested in the Armscor 200, and I've looked at about everything I can find about it on the internet. I guess I have too much time on my hands. I did note one article that said grips for the Colt Model D will fit OK, but Haggis says they don't fit so well. I continue to fight the urge to buy one just to try it out, and maybe I'll win.

I dont have an Armscor Rock Island M1911 .45, but my brother does and he thinks it's as good as most anything else on the market, at least in basic GI form. He also has one of the old Chinese Norinco M1911s, and he likes it also. I remember 5 or 6 years ago, there was a Philippine-made M1911 (probably Armscor) on the market being sold under the Iver Johnson name, and it was very reasonably priced, I'm thinking less than $300. I haven't seen any of those for a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts