Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2nd or later generation Colt Sheriffs Model and would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to the following: 1. It appears Colt has been making them off and on since 1960. What year or years are considered the best or is quality of all about the same?; 2. what should I expect to pay for one that has vivid case colors?
3. Colts finished by Turnbull appear to have the most vivid case coloring, which if any year or model Colt Sheriff's Model did Colt send to Turnbul for cc? and 4. suggestions re barrel lengths -- which length most popular/preferable upon resale?

Thanks for any advice re buying modern Colt Sheriffs model.

rbs

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
RB.
The 3rds are going to offer the brightest colors in the case.
Each SAA, regardless of era needs to stand on its own merit.
Will this be a gun you shoot?
Or keep in a safe?
The fit and finish is really up to the buyers discretion on what they want to see.
Do you want a BP or crosspin frame?
Neither is really “better” than another.

So far as I know Turnbull didn’t CC any of the SM’s.

I’m including a link for you to browse through. Take a look at the pricing to determine what is going to yield the highest return.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I have a 2nd gen Colt Sheriff's Model in B/CC that has been sitting in its original box, in a safe for well over 20 years. It is very well built, but I never cared for the rather cheap looking wooden grips that came on them.

Also, many of the early 3rd gen SAA's, which include Sheriff's Model, were some of the poorest quality SAA's that Colt ever made. Later 3rd gen SAA's are of very high quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RB.
The 3rds are going to offer the brightest colors in the case.
Each SAA, regardless of era needs to stand on its own merit.
Will this be a gun you shoot?
Or keep in a safe?
The fit and finish is really up to the buyers discretion on what they want to see.
Do you want a BP or crosspin frame?
Neither is really “better” than another.

So far as I know Turnbull didn’t CC any of the SM’s.

I’m including a link for you to browse through. Take a look at the pricing to determine what is going to yield the highest return.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Bill. Over which years were 3rd g, Sheriffs produced?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2nd gen Colt Sheriff's Model in B/CC that has been sitting in its original box, in a safe for well over 20 years. It is very well built, but I never cared for the rather cheap looking wooden grips that came on them.

Also, many of the early 3rd gen SAA's, which include Sheriff's Model, were some of the poorest quality SAA's that Colt ever made. Later 3rd gen SAA's are of very high quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saintclair, Thank you and during what years were early 3rd gen sheriffs made and what were the years that the later 3rg gens made. And, yes the wood grips on the 2nd gen sheriffs are disappointing.

rbs

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
saintclair, Thank you and during what years were early 3rd gen sheriffs made and what were the years that the later 3rg gens made. And, yes the wood grips on the 2nd gen sheriffs are disappointing.

rbs

I would want a 3rd gen with a serial number above S26457A. That is when the removable cylinder bushing was reintroduced.
Others may have suggestions on 3rd gens with earlier SN's.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My observation is that a Sheriff’s Model, while nice, would not be as easy to sell as a standard model (when it did sell, it would bring more money). There is a difference in buying what you like and what others might buy.

Reactions: Cozmo

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I've had 4 nice Sheriff's Model guns and all were troublesome to re-sell. After the last one I decided no more unless I was going to use it myself and use it a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
It took awhile for me to get a sheriffs model for the same or less than a standard SAA. And yes, I use it in cowboy action shooting a few times a year. Mine is a nickel 44 special ( missing the 44-40 cylinder) and with faux ivory stocks( missing the original plain walnut). So it was on GB for a long time until the seller dropped the price. Mine has standard SAA serial numbers. Some have special numbers such as a broken up 1987 sheriffs model set. Mine is fun to shoot and it almost always gets light cowboy loads with a 200 grain bullet. Mine was probably made in the early to mid 80’s era but it’s quality appears good. So you have a choice of calibers, 44-40 or 45 colt, but these were often offered with 44 special and 45 acp cylinders. And a choice of finish with nickel guns having walnut stocks and blued/ CH having had rubber. I wouldn’t want the 3” barrel shorter for shooting but I haven’t shot a 4” storekeeper model yet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
USFA
2368A68C-B3F0-43BD-A8E8-1208AF0D96F4.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts